Bold Kitty!

Prizka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a rescue, and she was so cute. She had been spayed when she came to us about 2/3months ago.
Used to sleep in our bed, purr and cuddle up with us and sleep most of the night and then the bad kitty came out.

She keeps meowing at the doors at night but if you let her in she'll trill and immediately look for exactly what she knows she's not allowed into. The second I go to move toward her she gets all zoomie and tries dive into whatever gap she's not allowed behind (monitors & cables). I've even reorganised to be less hiding-spacey but she insists on trying to get in to the space with this wild look in her eye. Like she's annoyed with me/feels like she HAS to get behind there.

I've tried using distraction with toys and using treats when she uses any of the cat friendly space such as window ledges, cleared shelves etc.

I would love for her to sleep or hang out anywhere but she just wants to f*ck with everything the second you let her in. We have a bird for her, tried playing with that until she's tired especially before lights out, she has a bunch of approved toys but shes infuriating to be around. Has been to the vet and apparently is in full health..

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loved the ripple rug but it was too big for my apt. Puzzles are a good idea. I would not let her in your bedroom. Maggie likes to run around and meows. This is her nightly play time. Eventually stops. It helps if I say her name. So you have 2 cats now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prizka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made some changes last night, attached the pole of one of her string toys to something high up so she could play with it, I will definetly check into some more toys for her but is there anything else I can do to stop this behaviour? She flattens her ears and I can honestly only describe her as spiteful when she's in that mood, getting into anything she knows she's not allowed into

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is she?
Can you think of anything that happened right before this change in behavior occurred?

When she's just about to start running from you or actually does (challenging to time this, I know) stop approaching her immediately and walk away. Repeatedly, in other words try not to ever follow her.

Although i never suggest to eliminate safe spaces for cats, in this case i would find some cardboard and block off everything temporarily. Your house will look weird for a little bit, but I'm thinking that her behavior needs to be shifted.

Does she need more food? If you aren't, try leaving some kibble out overnight, and ignore her at your bedroom door until she stops yelling (Mack's earplugs can help).

During the day try more frequent smaller meals.
Also try low volume classical harp music.

Last edited:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations-- your kitten is being a kitten. Cute, but super frustrating! Even the very best and nicest kittens are a handful, so please don't interpret her behavior as her being "bad" or "spiteful." They're like toddlers-- too young to reason with, with too much curiosity and energy for their own good sometimes.

I've found the laser pointer to be a great way to tire an energetic cat out. If you have a space like a hallway or flight of stairs that they can get a good run in chasing the pointer back and forth (make it zigzag and jump up the walls to keep things fun) you can really tire them out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prizka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do understand that it's just growing pains, shes a little moody teen at the moment lol I'm just looking for advice on how to prevent the behaviour as my partner has much less patience than me and just puts her out of the room, which causing her to meow at the door for the entire time and when you do let her back in she's hyperactive.

I'm sure she has enough food and toys, but will try up her playtime and see if I can find the point that she tires out enough to settle down.

I guess I'm also specifially looking for advice on the behaviour where she sees me and dives for the place she knows I'm coming to stop her from going into/onto. It does result in a little aggression from her, always have to remove her with my sleeves covering my hands. Treats don't encourage her out, she just looks at me with huge eyes, swaying with pent up energy as if she knows I'm trying to get her out. I don't want to damage the bond I have with her. (the area I'm thinking of is a very tight crevice that I can't yet cover up.

It kind of sounds like the answer is more playtime but with several people in the house she already gets alot of really active play with the bird and other toys.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Did you see my post #6 above? To summarize it, don't follow her, don't pull her out :)