Boiled chicken and rice for diarrhea

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am at my wits end with Zena. He had giardia and hookworm and bloody runs when he was trapped. He has been treated 2. X panacur and on metro for nearly the whole time as well although we missed a few doses. His poop keeps going back and forth now between normal, normal and a bit mushy to complete liquid. Past 2 days was complete liquid and he got all it over his paws 🙀 And all over the place.

Fortunately he let me clean his paws etc. I scruffed him and he rolled on his side for a paw bath. After the bath he washed himself up better too and seemed happier. It took me an hour or so each day to clean everything up, poopy paw prints everywhere, spatters on the wall etc.

2nd time I pushed litter on it as he was going but somehow he managed to get it in his paws again.

So I called dvm, who had failed to tell me his pcr result, it was neg, and I asked for the doc to call, but they did not. I called er dvm, who said try boiled chicken and rice. I spent hours making it and he would not eat it so far, lol. Maybe it is the rice.

They said bring him in if he seems dehydrated, he is drinking and seems ok, playing etc. they said maybe a steroid but repeat a normal stool test first as it could be a false negative.

I am not sure what is causing it. MaybeTritrichomonas foetus which is hard to test for. I treated Merlin for that, he took months to get better, he had c difficile confirmed on the pcr test. Eventually I put him on the home cooked and stopped the steroids etc. and one day his poop just went back to normal. He also had possible ibd on us.

I hope Zena will heal soon. He is also on mirtaz and gabapentin. I am stopping all meds for now to see if it may help. Gaba reducing slowly. I gave him some propectalin but it didn’t help at all. That stuff smells really awful, but he ate it in wet food with dry mixed in.
What else can I do for his runs? He also has a matt on one side of his ruff and I wonder what oil is safe to help break it up… it has been so long since I had a floofy cat.

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d never give rice to a cat, especially not one with diarrhea. Plain boiled chicken is fine on it’s own for a little while, as he’s an adult, but I wouldn’t want to feed it long term. I’d recommend getting your hands on S bouliardi and/or Adored Beast Healthy Gut, assuming he’s not currently on antibiotics. The former is fine if he is, as it won’t be killed off by Abs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d never give rice to a cat, especially not one with diarrhea. Plain boiled chicken is fine on it’s own for a little while, as he’s an adult, but I wouldn’t want to feed it long term. I’d recommend getting your hands on S bouliardi and/or Adored Beast Healthy Gut, assuming he’s not currently on antibiotics. The former is fine if he is, as it won’t be killed off by Abs.
Thanks 😀
I gave him some plain chicken now, he is eating it. I do not want to use s boulardi because I gave that to Merlin and his stomach became bloated and hard and he got explosive terrible diarrhea on the way to the er Dvm and they failed to clean him off and lied to me about it- was a big mess- he had C. difficile. I will look up the other one. I have stopped the metro for now until I do another test and talk to Dvm.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree about only plain boiled chicken - no rice. Can you add a completer to the chicken if need to give longer term? Also to vary, plain boiled white fish but make sure no tiny bones in the fish.

There may be a complete food that is the equivalent of simple cooked chicken but a complete meal. I think Almo Nature sell shredded chicken complete meals in the US but think they have green beans or other veggies added. Most Almo tins are complementary foods.

It could be a persistent bug but maybe also a side effect of medication?

For mats I cut with blunt ended scissors. Usually when they are sleeping. Just a little at a time if they react. Snip a bit then more later. Cut into the mat but try not to pull or tug as it will hurt, try to hold the base of the fur you are cutting.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree about only plain boiled chicken - no rice. Can you add a completer to the chicken if need to give longer term? Also to vary, plain boiled white fish but make sure no tiny bones in the fish.

There may be a complete food that is the equivalent of simple cooked chicken but a complete meal. I think Almo Nature sell shredded chicken complete meals in the US but think they have green beans or other veggies added. Most Almo tins are complementary foods.

It could be a persistent bug but maybe also a side effect of medication?

For mats I cut with blunt ended scissors. Usually when they are sleeping. Just a little at a time if they react. Snip a bit then more later. Cut into the mat but try not to pull or tug as it will hurt, try to hold the base of the fur you are cutting.
Thanks 😀
Unfortunately he ate a tiny bit of the rice too, but he seems ok. Before that he had another liquid poop but he managed not to step in it. I make home made food for my guys and had planned to switch him to this and had been giving him small amounts so that will be his main diet eventually if it agrees with him. That was actually what cured Merlin eventually. I will look for those too.

I put coconut oil on the matt, slowly brushed and did it by hand etc. He was horrified at first by the co and went to hide in the cage but eventually he came out and let me brush him etc. with various brushes/ combs and he loved his head etc area being done, there were tons of mini matts there. His fur still needs a lot of work but it’s a start. He did not mind me pulling it out after I unknotted it and one part was a gonner, he seemed to like it and was relieved etc.

Maybe a bath one day. I may try his front claws tomorrow because they keep getting stuck on things. Unfortunately his ruff etc and side fur on his face looks kinda flattened now, but it will puff up again eventually.
I have a lot of matt experience, my Syb used to get terrible ones and hated being brushed, so I gave her a lion cut every spring. I used to use olive oil for her but I thought maybe it was not ok now. She had to go to dvm once for them. Then I got my own clipper, I never cut them anymore because I cut her skin once but she was ok. Zena hates the smell of the coconut oil.

Yeah I am not sure what is going on, Merlin was similar. But he only tested pos for c difficile and had possible ibd too. It took several months to cure him. Maybe it is both that and the ab depleting good bacteria. But M got worse with any probiotic. I think when they have been outside it is very problematic. But none of my other cats ever had these issues with terrible runs, they never had runs even the outdoors who came inside.

Last edited:

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
If you do homemade with a completer like E-Z complete, then plain ground chicken or turkey may work.
Glad you got a bit of headway on the mats. My long haired fellow took a little work to untangle when first adopted but now with regular brushing is pretty mat free.
Hope you manage to figure out the cause of the loose stool. It may be a combination of things as you said.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
If you do homemade with a completer like E-Z complete, then plain ground chicken or turkey may work.
Glad you got a bit of headway on the mats. My long haired fellow took a little work to untangle when first adopted but now with regular brushing is pretty mat free.
Hope you manage to figure out the cause of the loose stool. It may be a combination of things as you said.
I use a supplement from knowwhatyoufeed.com and cooked chicken and chicken liver according to one of their recipes. Today no poop yet but I fed him some more boiled chicken and some of the homemade so prolly soon.