Boiled Chicken and Rice Diet. Vomitting issues.

Drusilla&Finn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my vet wants us to feed just chicken and rice for 5-7 days for our cats. They never told us now much though? Cats are 1 year old 9 pounds. My boy cat is having the worst tummy issues but he will literally eat 7 pounds of chicken if I let him. I just don’t want to over feed him because he will happily over eat and make his stomach worse!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the vet’s reason for feeding just chicken and rice? What are the tummy issues? Have any medications been prescribed? Is it possible your cat has had a virus? How long has this been an issue?

Have you tried giving your cat a probiotic?

Has the vet ruled out parasites or worms?

Chicken and rice is good, but many questions remain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drusilla&Finn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the vet’s reason for feeding just chicken and rice? What are the tummy issues? Have any medications been prescribed? Is it possible your cat has had a virus? How long has this been an issue?

Have you tried giving your cat a probiotic?

Has the vet ruled out parasites or worms?

Chicken and rice is good, but many questions remain.
We are on vet visit 4 both cats diarrhea acting normal, got antibiotics, fecal on both negative . Diarrhea went away then 2 days after finishing antibiotics. Back to the vet dewormer, probiotics, and prescription food. She got a UTI 2 days into dewormer treatment so she was on antibiotics for 10 days too. Got better again both of them. Both stopped eating prescription wet food. they got Churu when she had to take her pill for 10 days so we figured they eeee protesting no Churu. Both were eating dry prescription still. Tried to transition off the wet prescription since they literally wouldn’t eat it and the vet only recommended the prescription food until they didn’t have symptoms at that time symptoms stopped. Last night 10:30 he threw up in his litter box half digested dry food he ate at5:30 pm. Both of them happily ate most of the prescription wet food right after. No vomit from him over night. This morning he ate dry food and puked again could have also puked up last nights wet food idk. Both went to the vet this morning. He’s getting a fecal PCR waiting on results it will take few days. He got an ultrasound to check things out and make sure no obstructions and there wasn’t. He got subcutaneous fluids, an anti nausea shot, antibiotic shot. He’s going to be on anti nausea pill, and antibiotics. Both are going back on the probiotics. He recommended just chicken and rice for 5-7 days.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I"m glad they are doing the PCR. Often with diarrhea an in-house fecal doesn't catch the real issue. Chicken and Rice normally helps calm down the intestines, but isn't nutritionally complete so shouldn't be fed for more than a week. IF they do happen to have some nasty parasite, not sure if the bland diet will help, but it's certainly worth a try.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to add that probiotics changed my cat's life. He had gastro issues his whole life since being really sick and starved before being rescued.

Despite having some continuing issues, probiotics made him a lot more stable overall.

Also, human probiotics have worked for him, just FYI. But I am not a vet so take anything I say skeptically. But I used human-child probiotics for my cat for a long time, as they were cheaper.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told to put Mogi on a chicken and rice diet - 16 years ago - when, as a kitten, she had diarrhea. The rice (without salt) made things worse and I have recently been told I should have cooked the rice twice!!! I've no idea whether this is true or not. Nevertheless I have since only been treating foster cats and kittens with chicken and pumpkin when they have diarrhea. (I got that idea from TCS so I should take this opportunity to thank the site for this helpful advice which has saved me and my fosters from a lot of inconvenience over many years. :thanks:)

Good luck, I hope things soon change for the better,

drustone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what was the reason the vet told you to feed them like that?
just rice and chicken, that's strange

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rice (without salt) made things worse and I have recently been told I should have cooked the rice twice!!! I've no idea whether this is true or not.
This is super-interesting. I am just guessing here, but cooking the rice a second time will make it softer and break it down more, allowing it to be digested more easily.