Boil Behind Her Ear 19 Years Old

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I talked about this before in another thread I started,
anyway had her at the vet 3 times, keep in mind, this is a cat only vet, close to home, she still says it does not bother her,
it is much bigger and I want it drained, the vet said to remove this, surgery,
I really do not want her to go through surgery,at this age,
I can go to another cat vet 25 miles away, and more expensive,
but my cat does not like to travel at all.. I really want to drain this..is there any reason why I cannot do this myself? with a sterile syringe, the vet did it once..
this thing has to be bothering her, it is big, and just fluid,
I know all of you say I am not a vet,, I have done plenty of things my doctor said not to do..
all worked out fine.. and have disagreed with their decisions, this if before and after surgery,,

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try wetting a cloth in warm water, removing excess and holding gently against the boil. Keep repeating this and hopefully it will draw the boil to a head and the pus will drain out. Gently put pressure on the boil once it has burst and remove the pus. Just do it for as long as your cat will allow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it really does not look pus like, not infected..I can see veins going through it, when the vet drained it the first time, she was checking to see if it was cancer, it was all clear liquid, not cancer, I do not think this will come to a head, I almost want to squeeze it, it would be hurting me for sure, anything wet yikes... thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Boils contain pus and should not be squeezed. So, if does not contain pus, it is not a boil. For boils, you put hot compresses on them to help with pain and to draw the boil to a head for it to burst on its own.

You are taking a big chance with an older cat trying to resolve this on your own. I am gathering this is a bigger deal than a boil and that is why your vet is suggesting surgery. Why don't you get a second opinion? You can ask for a small dose of a sedative to help your girl get through the trip to the second vet.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never said this was a boil, said and it will not come to a head, how do I get a small dose of a sedative without going 25 miles to the vet and then back? I am going to take her to my other vet for sure.. this thing has got to go, plus the first vet said it does not bother her, how can it not, has to be pressure, if I had that thing behind my ear, it sure as hell would bother me.. keep you updated on what happens, cannot believe someone would not chime in, that their cat has experienced the same thing, thanks for the tips

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sorry about that, did not know what to call it, I am going to try and post a pic, whoa it worked
minca.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the pic! Maybe a cyst, or a fatty tumor?? Neither would probably be bugging your cat and in most cases there is no reason to bother with it. They are more common in older cats. And, that might be why the vet suggested surgery as there really is no way to get rid of them without surgical removal. Probably why the vet wasn't that keen on pursuing surgery, especially - as you said - given her age.

I don't suppose the vet tested the fluid just to be sure it wasn't cancerous?? But, a lot of these types of growths, especially on a cat's head, are mostly non-cancerous. I am sure there are exceptions, but you might want to ask your vet if they are thinking it is a fatty tumor, or a cyst.

You can also ask if there is any benefit in having it drained again, and what would be their recommendation to you about trying to do it at home. Personally speaking, sterile syringe or not, you could introduce an infection - and then you likely would be talking about surgery.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes she did check, not cancerous, it just keeps getting bigger, she did not want to drain do to infection also, had all her blood work done also, stabbing her in the throat,, OMG never heard her scream like that,, anyway,, Vet was amazed everything looked great, kidney for her age very good,, a 2 out of a 4,, I guess leave it for now,, thanks for the best explanation Feeby owner.. you should hear her howl all night, every room I am not in,, even sometimes I am their, just loses me.. she maybe even 20 we got here when she was 2 or 3,, and we have a 2 year old too. keep them seperate for now

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What do you suppose the howling is about? I can't imagine it is the growth - so is it the new cat? Or, just her age making her demeanor change? Feeby is more clingy at times, but tbh, it is only when she wants to be (haha)!

Have you changed up her routine at night because of the new cat?

It sounds to me like she is a bit insecure about her place in her home because of the new cat. It's funny, but I think true, that age has a strange way of making people - and perhaps cats as well - a whole lot less tolerant of change.

Did I miss her name? Is your avatar a pic of her?

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sorry Just seen this post, I was on vacation, the howling,
is I believe it is dementia , she does not know where I am at, I can sit in the same room, she howls, I call her name, she is looking around, but not at me, until is whistle or clap my hands, her routine is the same, she has been doing this before the new cat, not as much, she keeps me up all night, no idea how to stop it. I know she is my girl and wants me by her all the time.. yes my avatar is her, name is Minca, Avatar pic from when I joined thanks