Bobcat Fever (Cytauxzoonosis)

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats live out of doors. We live in the Southeast and have suffered two cases of Bobcat Fever. One survived; one did not. We are now taking more expensive precautions with flea and tick treatments.

I suppose I am circulating information that is already widely known...

We must give careful attention to who is eating and who is not. Drinking is not good enough. Failure to eat can be a sign of fever and fever can be a sign of the illness.

An untreated cat has a high mortality rate. A cat under veterinary care has little chance if we delay treatment. Treatment is expensive and some owners opt out.

It's easy for me to know who is not showing up at the bowls because I know my six cats. When I need cat sitters, I am so grateful for the help that I want them to be able to feed and go home. I hate leaving instructions for detailed behavioral observations.

"Little Dorrit" is turning a bit gray around the back of the neck. She is a year-old tuxedo.

At first we thought is was a phenomenon of shedding. No, I think some of her hair is turning gray.

She was fixed six months ago. She was hospitalized for Bobcat Fever in the spring.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of it, I don’t think we have it here. I am glad she survived that and so sorry for your loss. I do not treat my cats for fleas ticks anymore because three of them got cancer and I became ill for the few years that I did that. Fir my long hair girl and I figured it out I just had to shave her in the sping and give them a bath as needed. She was the one who had fleas and we had an infestation. Quinn also became ill from one treatment which I wish I had not done.