Bobcat and Housecat breeding?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wolfdogs are legal in most states--including Missouri! (although some places have permit/license requirements). I assume wildcat hybrids would treated the same. But I doubt that most "bobcat hybrids" are truly hybrids---most "wolfdogs" are Husky/GSD/Malamute/etc. mixes. Which is probably safer for everybody considering the typical wolfdog buyer. . .but misrepresenting them is dangerous, too.
I am not talking about "wolfdogs" I mean wolf hybrids, wolves bred with domestic dogs.... A friend of mine (in Missouri) had one and she had to be extremely careful because they are illegal to own and if anyone would have found out, Casey would have been put down.  Even going to the vet was dangerous for her.   She lived in the country and had a full wolf pup that she raised and it mated with a domestic dog.  When the authorities found out about the wolf, they came out and executed it... This was about 15 yrs ago.  But, they didn't know about Casey.  So all Casey's life, my friend had to be very careful not to claim her heiritage.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK well this was a few years ago.  I just know that some animals are not allowed which are allowed elsewhere (pit bulls for example) I live in hicktown USA they kill anything they feel should be illegal.  I don't know of anyone that actually admits to crossbreeding any wild animal to a domestic right now... However, dogs are more safe than cats here.  It is known as the Puppy Mill State for goodness sake!  (And most seem to be very proud of it!)  Dogs are seen as having a purpose and cats are seen as a nuisance in Missouri.  I hate this area, it is so backward and behind on it's animal welfare and rights!

Last edited:

bobcatfriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

MO BOBCAT... Are you still following this thread??? If you are I am interested in one of your 1/2 bobs. All cats are capable of interbreeding however the different life experiences of wild and domestic cats usually keep them apart.

Also anyone else who has a half wild bob kitten or cat for rehoming please let me know. We love our pets & treat them well.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked all over the Internet and have not found a single proven case of a bobcat/housecat hybrid. Especially occurring in the wild bobcats usually will kill and eat domestic cats. If this was possible surely you'd see these exotic hybrids for sale. There are pixie bobs and American bobtail cats for sale, but they only look like bobcats, they are not bobcat hybrids.
Perhaps your cat mated with a large tomcat with bobcat coloring which is rather common.
If you really do have true bobcat/housecat hybrids you'd be rich I can assure tons of people would be making you large offers and scientists too.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a friend of my grandfather lives in south Dakota and he has a first generation domestic/bob cat hybrid. the mother his cat was a maine coon and the father was a bobcat. I don't have any pictures but the cat looks like a a big short haired brown spotted tabby, his face is a bit longer and thicker looking than a typical cats, and his tail is shorter, he wieghs about 25 pounds at about 3 feet long.

everything I read says that the origin of the pixiebob started out as an accidental surprise bobcat hybrid

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 the mother his cat was a maine coon and the father was a bobcat.
Was the mating witnessed? 
everything I read says that the origin of the pixiebob started out as an accidental surprise bobcat hybrid
This is from just one of many breeder sites saying the same thing:

It was once thought that perhaps the Pixiebob was the result of a cross between a wild bobcat and a domestic feline. However, more recent genetic tests have established that the Pixiebob descends from domesticated cats, with no evidence of wild cats in its background.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi,

MO BOBCAT... Are you still following this thread??? If you are I am interested in one of your 1/2 bobs. All cats are capable of interbreeding however the different life experiences of wild and domestic cats usually keep them apart.

Also anyone else who has a half wild bob kitten or cat for rehoming please let me know. We love our pets & treat them well.
This thread was started in 2007 and the OP does not appear to have been active since then. In any case, the "kittens" would be over 5 years old now and probably well established in their homes.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*picture is not him* but would be a spitting image if you added the sandy brown color of the bobcat, a slightly longer tail and bigger ears.

So I don't know, I saw them when they were kittens and to be they looked nothing like full domestic kittens, they looked exactly the same, actually looked  like little african wild cats when they were kittens (and acted just as wild) The cat might not even be alive anymore, come to think about it, I know one of his cats died last year but I can't remember if it was Daisy (who at this point would be 13 years old) or Jasper, the supposed bobcat hybrid (who would only 7 be  or 8)

Last edited: