Bobcat and Housecat breeding?

missouribobcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It appears that our cat has been overly friendly with the bobcat that lives in the woods behind our house. We now have 4 kittens that look like bobcats. I am not sure but they were born with bobbed tails, really round flat faces and big feet. Is it possible that these are really bobcat hybrids?

My wife is concerned that the kittens will be dangerous if they are half bobcat. Is there any danger if they are? Three of them have already been claimed and the fourth is staying with us so she is a little worried about that.

Thanks for any advice.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU need to TALK to a VET ....

also not that I agree but in many areas hybrid cats are ILLEGAL

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been natural cases of bobcat/domestic breedings. Most times the bobcat will kill the household pet, but sometimes they don't - obviously your cat was lucky.

However any males will be sterile. I would get all of them neutered/spayed young - 2-3 months old and really handle them a lot. They could take on the traits of the wildcat if you don't handle them.

Pictures?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's worried about the one staying with you but not the three going on to other people? If it really is half bobcat (which I find doubtful), it is NOT okay for them to be adopted to homes where the humans will think they are just another cat.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While most peoples perceptions of 'wild cat behavior' is usually way off the mark, first gen hybrid cats are more often than not unlike a regular domestic cat. They may have litter box issues. The may be very shy and avoid people. They may need a special diet. Because they will be raised in your homefor a few MONTHS around people, they will probably NOT act like a feral cat. Most of the smaller wild cat species are not known for being dangerous manhunters. Basically, they probably aren't any more dangerous than your housecat, but they may have special needs... IF they are really hybrids.

We have a member here who lives with three bobcats. Maybe he can add to/correct this?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

While most peoples perceptions of 'wild cat behavior' is usually way off the mark, first gen hybrid cats are more often than not unlike a regular domestic cat. They may have litter box issues. The may be very shy and avoid people. They may need a special diet. Because they will be raised in your homefor a few MONTHS around people, they will probably NOT act like a feral cat. Most of the smaller wild cat species are not known for being dangerous manhunters. Basically, they probably aren't any more dangerous than your housecat, but they may have special needs... IF they are really hybrids.

We have a member here who lives with three bobcats. Maybe he can add to/correct this?
That's sort of what I meant, but you said it much better. I didn't mean they would be dangerous necessarily, only that they wouldn't be "just" another tabby cat, and the people adopting them might not understand what they're getting into.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure pictures of the kittens would help us decide if they were hybrids.

I don't know a lot about Bobcats, so I can't advise you there... but here's hoping you socialize them well and keep them long enough (I'd say at least 14-16 weeks if you really think they are hybrids) to make them wonderful pets.

If you have any questions about placing kittens, kitten care, etc... the wonderful people on this site offer wonderful advice and are very knowledgeable!

Be sure to get momma fixed once she has weaned her babies.

Now where's those pictures?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Missouri Bobcat!! Maybe you could send a PM to Amber the Bobcat! Our local feedstore used to have a bobcat/hybrid female that was always wild, but her kittens were in great demand as ranch cats. I got one of her offspring, a grandson, he was great, but he had the great desire to go outside once he grew up (he was neutered before 5 mos., so mating wasn't the reason). Also, he had very long fangs compared to my other cats. And he seemed very attached to me, and my grandson, but pretty much ignored the rest of the family. Alas, when I was out of town, he got outside and disappeared.

I hope that you could post pics of the kittens

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just doing a little casual searching... and it seems that first generation bobcat hybrids may need a special diet (they suggested Zupreem for exotics) and that they might need to nurse up to 12 weeks of age, so you might have to supplement with KMR. They also will need more space to exercise, may spray even if neutered young, bite and play more ferociously, and will tend to take more after the wild parent if they aren't socialized REALLY well.

I'm sorry I don't have the link... you know how it is when you're just surfing, I lost the pages a while ago!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missouribobcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some pictures, but they are not that good. I am trying to clean them up and make them a viewable size. As for socializing them, they sleep with their mom alongside myu two daughters beds and the kids are always playing with them. My 16 year-old has taken the kittens that are to be given to friends and "introduced" them to the people taking them. So I am pretty sure that they will be socialized. I thought they actually might be bothering them too much but now I guess it is gtood.

As soon as I get the pictures ready for posting I will post them.

Thanks for all the advise so far.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.

I can't add any advice, since I don't know anything about hybrid kittens like that, but I do wish you luck with them whatever you decide.

I just wanted to warn you that bobcats are the natural host for cytauxzoonosis, which is a blood parasite that can be transmitted by ticks. This is 95% FATAL to domestic cats, so please make sure your cat is protected with regular vet grade flea and tick treatments. It is especially common in Missouri, Oklahoma, etc. I lost my own cat to this just over a month ago and it is very quick, very painful and very deadly. These hybrid kittens may also be carriers, so you should really talk to your vet about this possibility.

If you do a google search on it, you will see what a serious problem it is becoming in your area.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissouriBobcat

It appears that our cat has been overly friendly with the bobcat that lives in the woods behind our house. We now have 4 kittens that look like bobcats. I am not sure but they were born with bobbed tails, really round flat faces and big feet. Is it possible that these are really bobcat hybrids?

My wife is concerned that the kittens will be dangerous if they are half bobcat. Is there any danger if they are? Three of them have already been claimed and the fourth is staying with us so she is a little worried about that.

Thanks for any advice.
Along with all the other advice you have received...I would get the mom cat spayed once the kittens are weaned and she should not be allowed back outdoors until she is spayed. You do not want to risk exposing her to a disease such as FIV or FELV that can be spread through mating.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missouribobcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I post pictures of the kittens and their mom?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need a site to host the pictures. I use www.photobucket.com.

Upload the pics from your camera to the computer, and then from your computer to the website. It's a free account, but you still have to register.
PM me if you need more help!

rainman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cousin had a hybrid a long time ago. He just thought it was a regular cat until he took it to the vet. It looked like a really large house cat. It was friendly, but really liked to hunt. I know of another one that looked a lot like a bob cat. They usually are pretty much like a regular house cat if you raise them. If you let them go wild then they turn wild. But it depends a lot on the personality of the individual cat.

Main thing about the hybrids is they usually are bigger and more aggressive than a normal cat. Sometimes though they don't have the bobcat features.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cousin of mine also had a female that bred with a bobcat.  The kittens were nothing special really.  A little bigger is all.  They didn't look like daddy.  They looked more like ordinary housecats.  I believe the wild traits are recessive? 

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have looked all over the Internet and have not found a single proven case of a bobcat/housecat hybrid. Especially occurring in the wild bobcats usually will kill and eat domestic cats. If this was possible surely you'd see these exotic hybrids for sale. There are pixie bobs and American bobtail cats for sale, but they only look like bobcats, they are not bobcat hybrids.

Perhaps your cat mated with a large tomcat with bobcat coloring which is rather common.

If you really do have true bobcat/housecat hybrids you'd be rich I can assure tons of people would be making you large offers and scientists too.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked all over the Internet and have not found a single proven case of a bobcat/housecat hybrid. Especially occurring in the wild bobcats usually will kill and eat domestic cats. If this was possible surely you'd see these exotic hybrids for sale. There are pixie bobs and American bobtail cats for sale, but they only look like bobcats, they are not bobcat hybrids.
Perhaps your cat mated with a large tomcat with bobcat coloring which is rather common.
If you really do have true bobcat/housecat hybrids you'd be rich I can assure tons of people would be making you large offers and scientists too.
They are illegal (in the United States- same with having wolf hybrids), so admitting to it and selling the kittens and advertising them is a death sentence.  The only way to prove it is a DNA tests or of course if you have photographic evidence of a mating like my cousin did.  (They caught the act on security cameras.)  However, most hybrids probably don't even look like a bob cat.  They probably look like normal cats, perhaps a little larger but that is really all. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wolfdogs are legal in most states--including Missouri! (although some places have permit/license requirements). I assume wildcat hybrids would treated the same. But I doubt that most "bobcat hybrids" are truly hybrids---most "wolfdogs" are Husky/GSD/Malamute/etc. mixes. Which is probably safer for everybody considering the typical wolfdog buyer. . .but misrepresenting them is dangerous, too.

Considering that male bobcats average 30 pounds, I doubt a female domestic would survive a mating attempt. Although evidently in some places the bobcats are smaller. . .maybe that would work. I still have doubts.

Last edited: