Boarding

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi TCS
I want to know abt ur experiences in boarding
I am leaving my cats for 3 weeks in a cat hotel , it has good reviews and all but they ofc no one is staying w the cats for 24 hours , I wanna know will they be fine
One of my cat had cystitis before so if he had it again no one will notice
I am confused and I searched alot it's my best options

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just my personal opinion, but I would choose most any 'in-home' option over boarding, especially if there is no one 'on duty' 24/7. I don't know what options you've searched, but have you ever considered something like care.com? You can look for prospective 'in-home' sitters, interview them in advance, and even have them over multiple times to get to know your cats before you leave. There are ones who will come to your home as many times a day as you feel is necessary, as well as ones who are willing to stay overnight.

I don't know where you live, but a lot of times you can reach out to people on web sites like Next Door Neighbor and find cat lovers in your immediate area that might be interested in helping you out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Just my personal opinion, but I would choose most any 'in-home' option over boarding, especially if there is no one 'on duty' 24/7. I don't know what options you've searched, but have you ever considered something like care.com? You can look for prospective 'in-home' sitters, interview them in advance, and even have them over multiple times to get to know your cats before you leave. There are ones who will come to your home as many times a day as you feel is necessary, as well as ones who are willing to stay overnight.

I don't know where you live, but a lot of times you can reach out to people on web sites like Next Door Neighbor and find cat lovers in your immediate area that might be interested in helping you out.
I prefer home too but it's 3 weeks and here in my country the pet sitter isn't common at all or don't even exist so I had 2 option first one boarding in cages with clinics which is not comfortable for my cat and the second is the cat hotel it's rooms and they check them twice or three times daily , I have never tried boarding before and it's my first time to leave this long

cleoandsuki87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you haven't already I would ask to tour the facility before dropping your cats off. You should be able to tell if anything looks off. When I first moved to my current location I had a wonderful boarding facility where my cat had his own room. The woman who ran it was clearly a cat lover and I completely trusted that she was taking care of him. Unfortunately, she retired. I tried another facility that had good reviews online. When I got there it was clearly super run down (looked nothing like the pictures online). I was on my way to the airport so I ended up leaving my cat. Thankfully it was just a quick weekend trip, definitely never went back there.

I've been using in home pet sitters ever since, but they're getting harder and harder to find. I just don't trust rover. I want to have an actual company so that I have an office to contact if something goes wrong, if I don't hear from my pet sitter, they get sick or in an accident or something, etc. I finally found a company that I loved, and they just announced that they're not doing pet sitting right now due to trouble with finding employees- they're only offering dog walking. Very frustrating. I hate leaving my cats but all of my family lives in another state so I really have no choice.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Seunie9.. it's difficult when we all assume that things are the same in all countries, when of course they aren't :). I agree absolutely with FeebysOwner that it's much better to have someone come to your home since cats love their own space and are likely to be happier and healthier. Do you have neighbours or friends who could call in regularly?
If not, then go for the place that looks clean, well kept, there are places for the cats to have a run and people you feel you can trust.
I'm wondering whether 'not with them 24 hours' just means there is a cattery attached to a property and the people are not in the cattery all the time, which is often the case.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you haven't already I would ask to tour the facility before dropping your cats off. You should be able to tell if anything looks off. When I first moved to my current location I had a wonderful boarding facility where my cat had his own room. The woman who ran it was clearly a cat lover and I completely trusted that she was taking care of him. Unfortunately, she retired. I tried another facility that had good reviews online. When I got there it was clearly super run down (looked nothing like the pictures online). I was on my way to the airport so I ended up leaving my cat. Thankfully it was just a quick weekend trip, definitely never went back there.

I've been using in home pet sitters ever since, but they're getting harder and harder to find. I just don't trust rover. I want to have an actual company so that I have an office to contact if something goes wrong, if I don't hear from my pet sitter, they get sick or in an accident or something, etc. I finally found a company that I loved, and they just announced that they're not doing pet sitting right now due to trouble with finding employees- they're only offering dog walking. Very frustrating. I hate leaving my cats but all of my family lives in another state so I really have no choice.
Yes I checked the place it's good my cats will have a big room with trees and plenty of food and water with litter boxes and cats there looks comfortable no one looks sad or sick and she also has many cats , my concern is just that if they got sick no one will notice cz they spend limited time with them
It's my first time ever to try boarding but I searched to find good place for so long

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Seunie9.. it's difficult when we all assume that things are the same in all countries, when of course they aren't :). I agree absolutely with FeebysOwner that it's much better to have someone come to your home since cats love their own space and are likely to be happier and healthier. Do you have neighbours or friends who could call in regularly?
If not, then go for the place that looks clean, well kept, there are places for the cats to have a run and people you feel you can trust.
I'm wondering whether 'not with them 24 hours' just means there is a cattery attached to a property and the people are not in the cattery all the time, which is often the case.
Unfortunately no neighbors to take care of them , that's why I have to try boarding and yes it's a cattery , she isn't alone too she has someone helps her with feeding , cleaning and also play with them , I don't know if it's enough or not ?
I asked abt cctv but they don't have it and no one have it here in my country

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's going to be enough. For a variety of reasons, I'd rather board my cat than have a cat sitter come into my home if I'm to be away for any length of time.

We took a weekend trip and left our Belle at a local pet boarding house. There were other cats and a staff to look in on Belle throughout the day. I don't know if there was a night staff or not. When we dropped Belle off, we took her litterbox, cat condo and I made an impromtu cat bed by stuffing it with tee shirts my wife and I had worn so Belle had our scent. Plus we dropped off her favorite food and a few of her toys.

When we picked up Belle Monday morning, she was fine. Clearly, she missed us and was happy to be home again, but she wasn't stressed out.

I felt this was better than having a cat sitter dropping by once or twice a day, leaving Belle in an empty house for hours at a time.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's going to be enough. For a variety of reasons, I'd rather board my cat than have a cat sitter come into my home if I'm to be away for any length of time.

We took a weekend trip and left our Belle at a local pet boarding house. There were other cats and a staff to look in on Belle throughout the day. I don't know if there was a night staff or not. When we dropped Belle off, we took her litterbox, cat condo and I made an impromtu cat bed by stuffing it with tee shirts my wife and I had worn so Belle had our scent. Plus we dropped off her favorite food and a few of her toys.

When we picked up Belle Monday morning, she was fine. Clearly, she missed us and was happy to be home again, but she wasn't stressed out.

I felt this was better than having a cat sitter dropping by once or twice a day, leaving Belle in an empty house for hours at a time.
Thank you so much , I really needed some experience with this , they will send me daily videos and I will provide them with food and litter so there won't be alot of changes