Blue Sphynx and Breeding Program

Catherine Bayliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There - I have started my cattery with a Lykoi female and a male Sphynx - both breeding cats from a breeder in the US. I have a beautiful Blue Seal Point Sphynx and am looking for a breeder who shows her Blue Sphynx and would be interested in mentoring me and helping me to find a beautiful female Blue Sphynx to start my breeding program. I hear that Canada there are breeders of the Blues...anyone out there to give me more information on who to contact?

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What association are you registered with? I'm pretty sure most associations have mentor programs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catherine Bayliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I breed a black female Spynx to a blue seal point, can I get a blue kitten? I am assuming that I need a blue female to have a chance at blue kittens....anyone can tell me how to figure this out?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Blue is the dilute of black and is a recessive trait. That means both parents must carry the dilute gene. A black female may carry the dilute gene, but it's masked by the non-dilute gene. Paired with a blue male it's still possible to get dilute kittens. Other than genetic testing, you can look at the female's pedigree to see if there are any dilute colors in her background.

Catherine Bayliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Paris' pedigree shows lineage derived from blue Sphynx four to five generations back...most recently (first, second, and third) lilac seal point, seal mink/white, seal point/white, chocolate mink/tortie, white. I have a black female I am considering for breeding and she has blue on both Sire and Dam in the third, fourth, fifth generation - first and second gens were black, black/white, seal mink, seal point, lilac seal point.

Catherine Bayliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am assuming that the two would throw black, black/white, white, seal point combos - lilac, blue?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a lot of variety in there. It sounds like you could end up with a rainbow litter.
If you're really wanting blues you may have to breed several generations to get that consistently.

showmesphynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is important to get the Optimal DNA testing for breeders done. It is offered by Wisdoms and the discounts are offered through the TICA and CFA websites. It gives you the blood type checks for over 40 different genetic conditions that can be passed on. It showed the genetic diversity score. It shows if the hairless gene, dilute, colorpoint, gloving, white, glitter, polydactly genes etc are present. You get an 8 page report that helps you better assess your cat to determine if it is right for a breeding program and which cat would be a good match to mate it with.

showmesphynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There - I have started my cattery with a Lykoi female and a male Sphynx - both breeding cats from a breeder in the US. I have a beautiful Blue Seal Point Sphynx and am looking for a breeder who shows her Blue Sphynx and would be interested in mentoring me and helping me to find a beautiful female Blue Sphynx to start my breeding program. I hear that Canada there are breeders of the Blues...anyone out there to give me more information on who to contact?
CFA has a mentoring program. You just have to apply for it. They also have a Facebook group. If you look at the list of breeders on TICA and CFA's websites, of which there are many of us in the US, that is how you will find their contact information to start reaching out to the breeders to find out how might be interested in being a mentor. Best of Luck.