Blue Natural Veterinary Diet Km Kidney Support

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with this food? Specifically the 5.5 oz cans only available through Vet prescription for cats with CKD?

I have a 17 year old female cat with IBD stable on high quality food and low dose steroid.
Recently, her appetite waned along with morning nausea. I took her to the Vet for bloodwork. Her BUN was 39 and her Creatinine was 2.4 end of January. IM vet saw no need for therapy at that time. Now, end of April her BUN is 59 and her Creatinine is 3.1. IM Vet recommends a "kidney diet" and we have begun fluids 2x a week. I am shocked.

Cat was eating KOHA canned food since February and liked it, especially the Venison, which I stopped due to high phosphorus content. Now I am feeding turkey and chicken till I find something more appropriate with reduced protein and phosphorus levels.

Someone else mentioned Hi-Tor Neo Diet which is not prescription, but lower Protein and Phosphorus that most cats like.

I have to keep her eating and am grateful for any suggestions for palatable options.
Thanks in advance!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never even heard of this brand of prescription kidney food before, however, when looking at my go to for all things kidney related, I do see it on their list. And speaking of "their list", here it is for you to peruse: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA. It starts with the prescription foods, then goes into the non prescription foods, in order of the amount of phosphorus in the foods, which is the most important thing about kidney food. You are looking for the least amount of phosphorus. And of course, with her also having IBD, you've still got to look at other ingredients that aren't going to upset her digestive issues.

I've had three kidney cats, and our Vet has always said it's more important to concentrate on getting them to eat, rather than worry about WHAT they are eating. Of course we always TRIED to feed as low a phosphorus food as possible, but it just didn't always work. When they don't feel well, they don't want to eat. Remember, though, you can use appetite stimulants and antacids, etc. to help you old girl along. Those worked great with out kidney cats. And we also used toppers to help. Things like FortiFlora and crushed Purebites. Plus I fed lots of small meals through the day and night. Probably 8 or 9 meals per day, with extra water added in to the food. (those sub-qs will help too)

Be sure to look all around that website I referenced above. It has all kinds of helpful information not only about food, but about everything possibly related to kidney disease, including high blood pressure issues, dealing with nausea, etc, etc, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the list and helpful tips. I did take a copy of this list to the pet store yesterday to select several varieties to try with Phosphorus level less than 1.0.

First one tried was a reject. After an appetite stimulant, she ate a bit. Next one was a tuna/chicken one in a pouch which she loved. It will be a trial and error for sure with me making lots of notes.

The Blue KM food is by prescription only. Vet does not carry, but will give a prescription, but only comes by the case--a waste if cat will not eat.

A local independent pet store at least said they would order in some cans of the Hi-Tor Neo Diet to try.

I will be consulting the Tanya's website frequently now. Years ago, I had a CKD cat who, with a lot of work and good veterinary care made it to 20 years old. The present 17 year old girl will be more of a challenge.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you touch base with Only Natural Pet, and see if they can help you out regarding smaller quantities of the Blue KM?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is your girl already getting B12 shots because of her IBD? That's very helpful in CKD cats as well.

Glad you have already found a food that she likes! Hopefully it doesn't upset her tummy :crossfingers:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is your girl already getting B12 shots because of her IBD? That's very helpful in CKD cats as well.

Glad you have already found a food that she likes! Hopefully it doesn't upset her tummy :crossfingers:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
No she is not getting B12 for the IBD, but now that she has started fluids for the CKD, B12 would be especially helpful for both. Thanks for mentioning!

The food she liked (Soulistic Tuna & Chicken Dinner in Gravy Moist & Tender Pouch), while on the list, is problematic for the IBD being fish, but used as a topper for a prescription CKD food might work.

The first food I tried (Instinct Grain Free LID Turkey) was totally rejected. Trial and error time for sure!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to the vet about a phosphorus binder? It might allow for a wider range of food. Best of luck to your girl!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a warning about Tanya's list -- it hasn't been updated for a couple of years and many of the products have changed formulas. I think Dr. Pierson's list on catinfo.org is more up to date (but still about a year old).

I have a kidney cat and I feed her Rad Cat raw diet -- they list their phosphorus levels on their website, they are all very low. Sometimes I also feed Weruva canned food, many of their varieties are .80% phosphorus (also all listed on their site).

Ziwipeak canned venison and lamb varieties are okay too. They are about 1.04% phosphorus (also listed on their site ... I think I prefer companies that list values for you :) ).

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to the vet about a phosphorus binder? It might allow for a wider range of food. Best of luck to your girl!
That is a good suggestion. I will ask my Vet. Thanks.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a warning about Tanya's list -- it hasn't been updated for a couple of years and many of the products have changed formulas. I think Dr. Pierson's list on catinfo.org is more up to date (but still about a year old).

I have a kidney cat and I feed her Rad Cat raw diet -- they list their phosphorus levels on their website, they are all very low. Sometimes I also feed Weruva canned food, many of their varieties are .80% phosphorus (also all listed on their site).

Ziwipeak canned venison and lamb varieties are okay too. They are about 1.04% phosphorus (also listed on their site ... I think I prefer companies that list values for you :) ).
I will check Dr. Pierson's list. Thanks for the food tips