Blue Lynx point?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that she's a blue lynx point but she could be a seal lynx point. What do y'all think?

Here she is:

1620673393650.png

It's harder to see her tabby markings in the light.

Thanks in advance!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her nose and tail tip look very dark, so I would guess seal lynx point from the picture. What color are her paw pads?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I just asked the owner. I don't have the kitten yet. She's about a month old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she were an adult, I would say blue.
But as she is still a little kitten and already as dark as she is, it simply must become a seal with time.... Otherwise you have a good case for complaining! :)

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her nose and tail tip look very dark, so I would guess seal lynx point from the picture. What color are her paw pads?
Her paw pads are dark pink.
If she were an adult, I would say blue.
But as she is still a little kitten and already as dark as she is, it simply must become a seal with time.... Otherwise you have a good case for complaining! :)
Okay. Thank you! Only her tail is dark. In the light, you can only see her markings on her face and tail.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is extremely young, and her color will continue to darken. With such a dark tail already, I think she is probably seal lynx point, but it would help to see pictures in better lighting as she gets older.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks again. I'll try to remember to post pictures as she gets older.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Since she is such a young baby, her paw pad color may not have developed yet.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay. When should their color develop? I'm actually thinking now that she's more like six weeks instead of four. No one knows when she was born. 🤷‍♀️

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you know about her history? Is she being fostered as an orphan, or does she still have her mom and siblings?

I'm not an expert on pointed cats' color development from week to week... but I do know that the coat starts out white, paw pads start out pale pink, and point color continues to develop and deepen for more than a year. Young baby kittens like this one are still at a very early stage in color development. Since color development is temperature sensitive, it can also be affected by ambient temperature.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's still with mama cat. She has no litter mates. Just her.

Okay, thank you!!!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of her and her mom:

1621083100006.png

It's a little dark.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Mum looks like a blue point, but doesn’t necessarily mean her daughter would be. Blue is black + dilute gene, and the dilute gene is recessive. Her dad would have to be blue lynx point or carry blue for her to be blue lynx point, rather than seal.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, mama is blue point. Her dad carries the blue gene. The dad has blue points and seal points in his linage. A couple of lilacs, too.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to say for certain until she’s older, as she could be either, genetically, but as has been mentioned earlier, she’s a bit dark for a blue, considering her age, though some kittens do darken earlier than others.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help. I really hope that she's blue! I'll love her no matter what but prefer blue lynx point over seal lynx point. We'll just have to wait and see!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like she might have stripes? If so then she would be a lynx point but could be a blue lynx point. I would say 4-5 weeks old in the pics.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she definitely has stripes. I do know that she's a lynx point just not sure if she's a blue lynx point or seal lynx point. My guess was six weeks because she walks very well. She plays, jumps, and runs. Thank you!