Blue-eyed Black Cat

Discussion in 'Grooming & General Cat Care' started by blue-eyed shadow, Oct 12, 2017 at 3:46 AM.

1. blue-eyed shadow

blue-eyed shadow TCS Member Kitten

Thursday
    I just adopted a full black cat with blue eyes. I am not sure if it's rare to have an full black cat with blue eyes. any suggestions?

2. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    I have never seen one! Is it possible to post a picture? Genes are funny things, so I suppose there can be an endless combination, but black with blue eyes is definitely rare in MY book! It is older isn't it? All younger kittens have blue eyes that always change. I can tell now by the color if they will stay or not, normal kitten eyes are a more slate blue, a little gray in them Blue eyes that stay are more bright blue. I knew right away in the last litter that two of the kittens would keep their blue eyes, even though I had several people argue they would change. They stayed, and 10 years later I still have my blue eyed boy!

3. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 6, 2017
    Olcott Beach, N.Y.
    It's extremely rare, although we have seen two this year on TCS; yours would be the third. Do please post lots of images, and welcome to TheCatSite, @blue-eyed shadow !

Edit: The most recent blue-eyed black cat thread:

Black Cat With Blue Eyes

abyeb purraised this.
  4. arouetta

arouetta TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 31, 2016
    Just out of curiosity is your cat deaf?

gchris7 purraised this.
  5. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    All Siamese cats have blue eyes, so it could be possible that your cat has a Siamese ancestor.

6. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    I thought only blue-eyed white cats were deaf?

1CatOverTheLine purraised this.
  7. di and bob

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    Well, it's a unusual combination of genes that make some white cats that way, only pure white cats carry the deafness gene. So it does kinda makes you wonder if an unusual combination like all black with blue eyes carries something(?).Now I'm intrigued!

8. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 6, 2017
    Olcott Beach, N.Y.
    Associative deafness in white cats is signaled by blue eye colour if and when it's owed to a lack of tapetum lucidum in the eyes (since it's formed from the same stem cells as melanocytes). The actual cause of deafness in these cases is an absence of the cellular membrane in the inner ear, which is likewise composed of those same stem cells.

Not all white cats' coat colouration is owed to epistatic white (the gene Wd); some are blue-eyed Colour Restrictives (i.e. "partial albinos" [sic] or Incomplete Recessive Whites, owed to the gene Ca), who are recessive white (as opposed to the dominant epistatic white which masks all other colours in the first case), and these cats will not exhibit deafness.

@di and bob - Epistatic White and Melanism are carried on different genes on the C locus, and the two are mutually exclusive. A blue-eyed black cat has a zero percent statistical chance of suffering deafness from a want of tapetum lucidum stem cells, since its black coat is actually the result of an abundance of that which, in white cats, causes deafness.

Edit: to shed a bit more light on the subject of deafness in white cats, an excellent article by Dr. Sarah Hartwell:

White Cats, Eye Colours and Deafness

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM
  9. di and bob

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    That is so very interesting, thank you! I've had a blued eyed deaf cat, and he was so very smart, came when you stomped the floor and turned on and off a light.

1CatOverTheLine purraised this.