Blue Carnivora shortage at Petco?

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New member here, been lurking for a past few nights to find alternatives in a pinch. Ideally, I would prefer not to switch foods, as it's been working and my two Bengal boys, Winston and Nobu, are eating just fine without any signs of sickness.

But it seems that Blue Carnivora is hard to find at Petco nowadays. It seems that Petco has been the sole partner for Blue Carnivora, at least when shopping other pet food sites. But now, I seem to can't find it in stores consistently anymore to take advantage of their 25% off $50 deal. It's too good to pass up and makes buying Blue Carnivora more affordable.

We tried the whole transition to 'Orijen Cat and Kitten' over time doing the phase in, it did not go well. They were having diarrhea and throwing up. Had to return it.

Anyone else struggling to find Blue Carnivora?

I know Petco online will ship, and some 3rd party sellers on Amazon. Even Chewy is OOS consistently. But the best deal is at Petco with their buy online, pick up in store.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got my answer from their CSR. Blue Buffalo discontinued the Carnivora line due to lack of sales and demand.

I guess they failed to advertise against Orijen, who pretty much holds that high end position and price bracket that they attempted to compete against. But Petco discount and Carnivora was a good deal.

Looks like I'll be taking a serious look at Tiki Cat and Dr. Elsey, maybe even give Orijen another try when another batch rolls around.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, that's a bummer! Hopefully one of the others you mentioned will work :crossfingers:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my answer from their CSR. Blue Buffalo discontinued the Carnivora line due to lack of sales and demand.

I guess they failed to advertise against Orijen, who pretty much holds that high end position and price bracket that they attempted to compete against. But Petco discount and Carnivora was a good deal.

Looks like I'll be taking a serious look at Tiki Cat and Dr. Elsey, maybe even give Orijen another try when another batch rolls around.
Just looked and it's still for sale on Chewy. Maybe they are just using up their inventory? I have fed Carnivora before and mine liked it but it is pretty expensive.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see anywhere online that says Carnivora has been discontinued. Can you post a link to the CSR you are talking about? B BucDan

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What sucks is that they changed their formula for the Wilderness line as well. The chicken and red meat flavors never had menhaden fish meal at all, my last cat was allergic to white fish, so I took a lot of effort to avoid all fish, which originally lead me to Wilderness Chicken and Red Meat flavors. These two cats currently are not allergic to white fish, so I've eased up a bit.

But it's still a shame that the formula changed.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What sucks is that they changed their formula for the Wilderness line as well. The chicken and red meat flavors never had menhaden fish meal at all, my last cat was allergic to white fish, so I took a lot of effort to avoid all fish, which originally lead me to Wilderness Chicken and Red Meat flavors. These two cats currently are not allergic to white fish, so I've eased up a bit.

But it's still a shame that the formula changed.
Most big brands don't seem to care as much about cats as they do about dogs IMO. Cats are more finicky than dogs and a recipe change of any kind can turn a cat off a food they used to like very quickly.

I hate it when brands discontinue entire lines of food. My cats LOVED the Nutro Max. They are very picky eaters and I had finally found something they both loved and was available with my Amazon subscribe and save. I was so annoyed when they discontinued it.

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most big brands don't seem to care as much about cats as they do about dogs IMO. Cats are more finicky than dogs and a recipe change of any kind can turn a cat off a food they used to like very quickly.

I hate it when brands discontinue entire lines of food. My cats LOVED the Nutro Max. They are very picky eaters and I had finally found something they both loved and was available with my Amazon subscribe and save. I was so annoyed when they discontinued it.
That's true. Go to the pet store and you'll see how there's like 2-3 times the brands for dog food vs cat, and arguably many of the dog food brands sit middle tier and higher, while cat food tends to be low, mid, and somewhat high.

From here on, it looks like I'm done with Blue Buffalo as a whole after that Wilderness discovery of their new formula, unless they return to the high end range with higher quality ingredients again.

I hope Tiki Cat is good and I hope they enjoy it. Will probably buy one more bag of Carnivora at a store 20 miles away to help with the transition and be done with it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's true. Go to the pet store and you'll see how there's like 2-3 times the brands for dog food vs cat, and arguably many of the dog food brands sit middle tier and higher, while cat food tends to be low, mid, and somewhat high.

From here on, it looks like I'm done with Blue Buffalo as a whole after that Wilderness discovery of their new formula, unless they return to the high end range with higher quality ingredients again.

I hope Tiki Cat is good and I hope they enjoy it. Will probably buy one more bag of Carnivora at a store 20 miles away to help with the transition and be done with it.
I agree. Especially Petco. I used to shop at the location near me often but over time, the cat food section got smaller and smaller and the few aisles they do have always seemed to be blocked with pallets of other stuff that needed to be put on the shelves. I also noticed that they had a LOT of expired cans of cat food on the shelves. I went looking for some Merrick and Nutro foods and in one visit found over 30 expired cans. Not expired by days but by MONTHS. I put all of the expired cans I found upside down in my cart so I would be able to distinguish them from what I was buying easily. I put them on the counter and told the girl at the register that they were all expired. She just asked if I wanted to buy them. Um. No. I don't. They don't belong on the shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if they went right back on the shelf after I left. I don't shop there anymore. Our local Petsmart is much better.