Blue Buffalo Wilderness- Good or bad brand choice for kitten?

mm1605

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All! 

I have a 14 week old kitten, Ozzy. I have been feeding him Fancy Feast wet and Science Diet dry food since he started eating food....but he has become picky with his wet food. I have heard varying opinions of Blue Buffalo Wilderness- some say it is really healthy for kittens and others say Blue Buffalo is a horrible choice all together. Wondering what you all think? I'm new to being a kitty mom and want to give Ozzy the best shot at a healthy and happy life. Just wish the food choices weren't so confusing. 

Thanks!!

Megan

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It all depends on who you talk to.  Ask 10 people and 5 will tell you it's great and the other  5 will tall you it's awful...even here on TCS

I would say if he eats it, it's a good choice.  That's my motto for my cats anyway (as long as it's low carb)

Maybe this will help you:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-choose-the-right-food-for-your-cat

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if the food is any good, but there is definitely a lot of controversy surrounding the brand.  I would avoid it if possible just in case.  I personally choose not to feed BB.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put Lily at 8 months old on Blue Wilderness dry cat kitten food

and also gave her once a day some Fancy Feast kitten canned food the one that has milk in it..Green label.

She is now on Blue wilderness Adult  Chicken  INDOOR dry cat food

and she loves it!

She is beautiful and doing well!

Her brother Bro ..is 9 years old and he loves it too..

He is celebrating Lily's lst birthday in the picture

he is the 9 year old tabby male..

We got the indoor Chicken dry one by Blue Wilderness because

they are inside cats...they do try to eat some grass outside

at times when they are on their harnesses and leashes with me.

They also have Fancy Feast canned food and I add  300 mg Krill oil

daily to each one's food on a foam plate

and a preventative for plaque called Pro Den Plaque off

to the wet/canned food and mix in well each afternoon ..

and make sure I stay with them until they clean the plate

The way I do that is.. give them a tablespoon of canned food

room temperature and have the Krill oil and powder like

pro den plaque off mixed in well..

then give them more canned food if they ate the above..lst

Hope that helps...

Sheri T, Lily and Bro

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think they recalled the dog dry food that had potatoes in it this year..

by Blue...

That is all I know..

as we are using the Adult Cat Indoor Chicken food .

SheriT

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pet food recall of 2007 involved SEVERAL companies and several brands.  All of them, including Blue Buffalo, seemed to have recovered well.  The most newsworthy conflict concerning Blue Buffalo these days is the Purina vs. Blue Buffalo lawsuit; two companies trading insults in the media and in the courtroom.  Drama.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mm1605

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, 

Thanks for all of your input! I went ahead and switched Ozzy to Blue Wilderness and I have seen such an improvement! His fur is much smoother and he has so much energy. He really seems to like the dry food in particular too. I recently adopted another kitten, Ty. I slowly switched him to Blue Wilderness too and even though it has only been a few weeks I am seeing improvement with him too. When I adopted him he was very thin, and now he is starting to fill out and look much healthier. Overall, the food seems to be doing them both good and they both like it so I will continue with Blue! 

Megan 

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my kitten was younger, I fed her purina kitten food and noticed her fur wasn't very soft and she ate a ton of it. I switched her to the BB kitten food you are talking about and she ate less, and her fur got super soft! She is now 10 months old, I started her on the BB adult food and she loves it! I've heard of the controversy against them, but it's been amazing for my cat!

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never tried blue for my cats. It made my dog very sick though, so I will never buy it for my cats.

motu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reported is that:

Purina filed the suit based on testing that found several of Blue Buffalo’s pet food varieties contained chicken and poultry byproduct meal. Each of the bags tested had labels claiming to be “byproduct free,”court documents show.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2093177/pu...hicken-poultry-byproduct/#TqZT2Ai3jwYF6W22.99

I got off of dry foods due to health issues and my vet recommends cheap canned friskies.  I do give them blue  (canned) occasionally.  They like it a lot for a few meals then move on to other foods. It costs 3 times plus over friskies and is not practical for a large number of cats.