Blue Buffalo Kitten- Healthy Growth Vs. Wilderness

RJaneG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 9 week old indoor only Exotic Shorthair kittens. I currently have them on Blue Buffalo Health Growth, but I was looking into the grain free Wilderness option. The kittens have both gained a significant amount of weight in the last week. Is grain free a better option? I currently have them on dry food only given that is what the breeder was doing but I would like to start to introduce wet food and do a combination of both.

Is it best to do dry and wet at the same time? Or separate meals?

What ratio of dry to wet?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'd reccommend feeding the blue wilderness kitten food. Kitten food is formulated so that kittens can get the extra nutrients they need while growing. Wet food is generally considered healthier than dry because it contains water, which helps cats stay hydrated, as well as feeling fuller for longer to help prevent them from overeating. Grain-free is also generally considered better for cats, because cats, as obligate carnivores don't need grains, so they just end up being empty calories for them.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll attest to blue wilderness as well. After the formula was weaned I did blue wilderness and she gained weight wonderfully and kept it on target. Though I did switch to a dry food after the kitten wet food and she took to it well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RJaneG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great thank you for all the information!

RJaneG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I have another question. With the canned food... I'm gone from about 6:30am-3:30pm everyday. How do you recommend I feed them? Any dry food during the day? 1 can for each meal for both kittens enough?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I have another question. With the canned food... I'm gone from about 6:30am-3:30pm everyday. How do you recommend I feed them? Any dry food during the day? 1 can for each meal for both kittens enough?
I'd say feed them canned before your work and then after. You can leave some kibble out for them during the day for them to munch on, as long as they graze on it, not like scarf 'n barf.

RJaneG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have started them on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness, the wet food seems to being going fine, I have slowly been transitioning them with the kibble. The kibble with the wilderness is a little bit larger then the healthy growth, and from what I can tell they are trying to eat around the new food... any advice on how to help with this? Is it because it's grain free that they don't care for it?