Blue Buffalo and Carrageenan...

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After a long battle between me and Olive, I finally gave in and allowed him to eat his Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned food. I tried changing him to a more healthier food, but to no avail. He preferred his old food, and refused to eat much of his new canned diets. 

I decided to do more research regarding Blue Buffalo's ingredients, and to my surprise, Blue Buffalo's Chicken & Turkey canned flavor does not  contain carrageenan! Which is great. It's very difficult to avoid carrageenan since it's such a popular (and cheap) stabilizer & food thickener.

However... this brings me to my question. Blue Buffalo's Chicken and Turkey  is the only flavor they sell without carrageenan (that i'm aware of...)

How come Chicken & Turkey does not contain carrageenan, but all the others do? Is there other Blue Buffalo wet foods that don't contain carrageenan that I'm not aware of? Or is this a labeling mistake? 

I picked up a 12 pack of the food today - that's also a new shipment - and all 12 of them do not have carrageenan labeled in the ingredients list...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I got my answer, since nobody knew! ..  This is for future reference, if anyone is wondering why only 3 cat products of Blue Buffalo's cat food does not contain that pesky carrageenan ingredient. I thought it was odd that all of their cat products contain it, but these 3 brands do not. I also called earlier today without realizing they replied to my email that night, and told me the same thing said below. This is what they had to say... 
 Hi Rowan,

Thank you for contacting us. The carrageenan used in some of our products is a food grade, AAFCO and FDA approved ingredient. It is used in some of our canned formulas for its use as a stabilizer and thickener. This is a natural ingredient that is derived from a red seaweed extract. The Wilderness Wild Delights Meaty Morsels is the only canned food formula that will not contain carrageenan, as it was formulated without it.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact BLUE.

cats&kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Snowie love blue buffalo canned cat food and it the only canned cat food that doesn't give her diarrhea.

here are the food Snowie can't eat fancy feast for kitten, friskie new canned cat food the one with cream sauce.

Last edited:

SS86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't mean to revive an old thread, but thanks for the info. I've steered clear of BB mainly because of the Carrageenan. I find there are a lot of brands out there that will have some flavours with and without it. I feel the same way about Guar Gum but that is even harder to avoid. After much more research I've decided the latter isnt as bad, especially in small doses and not as a regular meal.
But I refuse to buy anything with Carrageenan in it.

comp625

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My turn to revive the thread. As of January 2020, it still appears Blue Buffalo's "Wilderness Wild Delights" as "Meaty Morsels" are the only types that don't have carrageenan. This includes the Chicken & Turkey and Chicken & Salmon flavors.

Disappointingly, the vast majority of Blue Buffalo wet cat food still have carrageenan in it including their "limited ingredients" line. Luckily the few aforementioned carrageenan-free options still exist.

Kattwommin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After a long battle between me and Olive, I finally gave in and allowed him to eat his Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned food. I tried changing him to a more healthier food, but to no avail. He preferred his old food, and refused to eat much of his new canned diets.

I decided to do more research regarding Blue Buffalo's ingredients, and to my surprise, Blue Buffalo's Chicken & Turkey canned flavor does not contain carrageenan! Which is great. It's very difficult to avoid carrageenan since it's such a popular (and cheap) stabilizer & food thickener.

However... this brings me to my question. Blue Buffalo's Chicken and Turkey is the only flavor they sell without carrageenan (that i'm aware of...)

How come Chicken & Turkey does not contain carrageenan, but all the others do? Is there other Blue Buffalo wet foods that don't contain carrageenan that I'm not aware of? Or is this a labeling mistake?

I picked up a 12 pack of the food today - that's also a new shipment - and all 12 of them do not have carrageenan labeled in the ingredients list...
Hi, Also check out your cat food make sure it does not have any of the gum ingredients in it. They along with carrageenan cause inflammation. There are a few cat foods which have none of those. I too went on a search to find a better cat food. Some freeze dried foods are good.