Blowdrying

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I have to give my long haired cat a bath today. It's so cold I'm worried he will get sick if I towel dry him. Is it safe for him if I use the blow dryer on him?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's definitely safe. Whether it will freak him out is another question.

Every longhair show cat gets blow-dried with every show bath.

It will be best if you have a place where you can contain him in case he runs away from the dryer. One of my friends has a metal patio table with holes in the table top. She sets the cat on the table and puts a small wire cage over her. That way she can blow dry from all directions.

Check out your dryer first to be sure it's not too loud. Sometimes the larger dryers are quieter than the small ones.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a blow dryer made for pets. It has 2 fans and is double-barreled. It has a stand to hold it for me while I fluff &comb out Theo's fur. I give Theodore baths about every 6 weeks. It makes it SO much easier to comb him every day. No tangles until fur starts getting dirty/oily again. I try to keep my boy in show quality. He feels so good after his bath that he races around here REALLY frisky and playful.

He even purrs while I lather and rinse him. The breeder I got him from bathed him every 2 weeks. He is very used to the routine. I use the Crazy Dog twin turbo dryer. The site says they are currently unavailable.....
1573685947420.png

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's definitely safe. Whether it will freak him out is another question.

Every longhair show cat gets blow-dried with every show bath.

It will be best if you have a place where you can contain him in case he runs away from the dryer. One of my friends has a metal patio table with holes in the table top. She sets the cat on the table and puts a small wire cage over her. That way she can blow dry from all directions.

Check out your dryer first to be sure it's not too loud. Sometimes the larger dryers are quieter than the small ones.
I am so lucky that Theo is not freaked out by the blow dryer. He snuggles up as tight to me as he can get while I blow dry and comb him out. He only fights me when I try to blow dry his belly and legs. The breeder I got him from doted on him because he was an only kitten in the litter with no playmates. Her work with him has made him so sweet! He now lays and enjoys his combings every morning. He started out not too sure about the comb but now he is a joy.
IMG_0277.png

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are using a human dryer, set it at the lowest temperature you can get and test it on your skin first. You can burn a cat very easily. To make drying quicker, when I do my Persians, I towel dry first, then I use good quality paper towels, going in the direction of the hair to get as much water from the coat as possible. I just keep using them until the towel is just barely damp, then I blow dry. When they are in winter coat and getting ready for a show, I can use an entire roll on one cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so lucky that Theo is not freaked out by the blow dryer. He snuggles up as tight to me as he can get while I blow dry and comb him out. He only fights me when I try to blow dry his belly and legs. The breeder I got him from doted on him because he was an only kitten in the litter with no playmates. Her work with him has made him so sweet! He now lays and enjoys his combings every morning. He started out not too sure about the comb but now he is a joy.
View attachment 307882
My kittens name is theodore as well lol. Aw what a gorgeous kitty sooo cute! Glad he enjoys being groomed! ♡♡