Blow Drying Kitten

Tilly06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All!

I will be getting a new Persian kitten in about 2 weeks (once he is old enough to come home), and I have been researching the grooming that will have to take place.

I'm concerned when it comes to drying - I don't own a pet blow dryer, so when it comes to drying him what would be the best steps? I know kittens can get cold easily, and not sure if air drying is a good option.

Thanks in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't anything about a pet-specific blow dryer, but you could go to a local pet store (PetSmart, etc.) and see what they have to offer. Or, they may just tell you that you can use a human hair dryer, probably with a diffuser and low heat setting.

The best bet would be to towel dry as much as possible first. You could even use towels that have been warmed up a little bit in the clothes dryer. Then, see how much dampness is left. It might not be necessary to use a blow dryer at all.

I know other members on this site will come along soon, and probably offer you better ideas than I have!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tilly06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just never blow dried a pet before, so the idea makes me a little nervous. If I can use my blow dryer on the little guy then that works.

I have a yorkie-poo and we bathe her at home all the time, but we just towel dry her good and then she gets the zoomies and air dries lol.

I guess all the videos and articles i've been looking at all have actual blow dryers so I didn't want to miss a step.

Thanks for responding!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be very careful using a human blow drier. To judge the kind of heat move your own hair out of the way and focus the drier on your scalp. It gets extremely hot very fast. Don't aim the air flow at one place more than a few seconds. And avoid the eyes.

Remember not everyone feels heat the same way. As a child, I didn't mind the hair drier, my sister screamed when she was the 'victim' of it. She felt the heat so much it always felt as though it was burning her. So, if your kitten screams it may really be too hot for this particular kitten. I'd practice holding and moving her as though drying her without the drier and before she's washed just to see if she's okay with that. That way you'll know whether she's screaming from the heat or from being restrained.

And, most important. read the article Keika suggested.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats like the little portable electric fireplace I have (it's pretty small--one Kw, or about 3500 Btu/Hr.). After bathing, I generally dry them off as best I can with a towel and let them sleep in front of the heat of the fireplace. I don't see why a small electric heater wouldn't serve the same purpose. The cats always seem to adjust their distance based on the heat output, both the kitten and the older ones.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gather you're getting this kitten from a breeder? If they know their stuff, they should have some ideas for you, so I would ask them as well.
If you use a human hair dryer, look for one that has a hot/warm/cool setting, with a high and low switch.
When we've given baths to fluffy foster kittens, we usually wrap them in a towel straight out of the dryer and hold them for awhile and let the water soak up. Once the towel feels damp, we get another warm towel, wrap them up, and let them warm up a bit, then use a dryer.
Caution on using a dryer, they will hear it and feel the air at the same time and you don't want them freaking out the first time around, that might set them up for a lifetime of being afraid of the dryer.
Whatever dryer you buy, run it a few minutes away from them and let them get used to the sound it makes. If they're afraid, put the dryer on low or move it away from them some. If you have a helper, have them keep him wrapped up in a towel in their arms. If the kitten is good with the sound, open the towel a little at their rear end and keep the dryer back a ways, but let some air touch their rear ends/feet (the kitten, not your human helper. :lol:) Once they're used to the sound/feeling of the dryer you can start moving it all over their bodies. Keep the dryer moving, don't hold it in one spot.
You can do this as an exercise even when the kitten is dry to teach them that a dryer is pleasant and not to be feared. A few seconds a day is all it usually takes.
I'm no professional, but this has worked for us for an awful lot of animals.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The portable electric heaters are wonderful, good for a quick warm up of a room. But you need to keep an eye on them and NEVER go to sleep with one on or leave the house. They have been known to catch fire and burn the house down. The age of the heater doesn't seem to matter.

Sitting with your kits in a warm room, a little playtime after a bath, sounds good to me.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you allow the kitten to air dry you risk it being chilled. Also the coat will not be straight and fluffy - wet coat tends to wave and curl as it dries. I suggest checking out pet dryers on Amazon. There are some less than $100, although I can't attest to how good they are. I would never suggest using a human dryer since they get way to hot. I don't think I could manage without my 2 pet dryers! If you don't mine the price being a little more, I suggest the Flying Pig. This is the one I have:Their customer service is wonderful. No, I am not working for them! Just a satisfied customer.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know about blow drying cats....but greg (our cat) did teach me that its very unwise to hold a cat and turn on electric clippers.