Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Bloodwork Check Frequency And Cost

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by ecatalina, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ecatalina

ecatalina Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Apr 18, 2019
    Hi all, My cat is about 14 years old and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last year. He’s been on Methimazole and just had his 6 month bloodwork check and everything was fine. I want to get a consensus on how much everyone is paying for bloodwork checks and how frequently you’re bringing your cat in to do them. My clinic charges $100+ per bloodwork and they want him coming in every 6 months, which I think is excessive now that he’s stable with Methimazole. Thoughts?

2. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    Hi! Feeby (14+ yo) is set to have a full senior check-up and senior blood panel annually. There are other members on this site who say their vets recommend semi-annual check-up/blood work up.

I suspect if it is determined Feeby has a chronic condition, my vet will want to change her check-ups to semi-annual as well.

Last bloodwork Feeby had cost $110; the vet exam/appointment was an additional $55.

ecatalina and CatLover49 purraised this.

3. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    That does sound about right. I know it is expensive, maybe you could compromise and have it done every nine months if everything is normal? You would have to discuss it with your vet. I know vets recommend wellness checks every 6 months for seniors. If he is stable fro at least a year, THEN maybe you could discuss less often? I knwo my Burt was always so stressed out with vet visits I only brought him in every year, and when he turned 16 stopped.

ecatalina, CatLover49 and FeebysOwner purraised this.

4. CatLover49

CatLover49 My Precious Snowball Alpha Cat

Feb 8, 2018
    Reidsville NC
    My Snowball is almost 11 in July: and the vet recommends senior blood work annually.And it cost $140 .And thats just the blood work.

ecatalina and FeebysOwner purraised this.

5. CatLover49

CatLover49 My Precious Snowball Alpha Cat

Feb 8, 2018
    Reidsville NC
    Sounds about right

ecatalina and FeebysOwner purraised this.

6. basschick

basschick TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 7, 2016
    two weeks ago we paid $95 for the vet visit and $320 for blood work including thyroid, kidney and vitamin B12 values :(

7. sidneykitty

sidneykitty TCS Member Alpha Cat

Dec 25, 2015
    Oregon
    My cat, Amber is 14.5 years old and I generally bring her in every six months. We haven't always done bloodwork every time, though. Is that something you can compromise on? bringing her in for a wellness check, no blood work but they can feel everything and see if there's any indication that it would be necessary for bloodwork?

I do think its generally a good thing to do if you're able since 6 months to us is like 2 years to a cat.

You could also ask about just checking the T4 instead of doing a full panel. This should be something they can do, though I generally tend to think if I'm paying for the blood to be drawn and sent, may as well get the whole thing done for a little bit more. Maybe do T4 only at six months and a full panel at twelve?

Costs will vary a lot by region, but most recently when I took Amber we did a senior blood panel (220) and her exam (70). We are in Oregon. Back in BC, Canada, we paid 80 CAD for the exam and 164 CAD for the senior panel.