Bloodhound Wins Westminster

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trumpet the Bloodhound Wins Best in Show at the 2022 Westminster Dog Show

A bloodhound won Best in Show at Westminster. The breed first started competing in 1978 and this is the first Best in Show win for the Breed. His handler who is also co-owner and bred him says that she calls him goofball when they are at home. He is a character with a lot of personality.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love Bloodhounds. They are total goofs and so silly but can be serious, dedicated trackers.
I couldn't believe how many Golden Retrievers were entered. It was 80 something, that's a HUGE entry!!!
I have a retired agility dog, and it was so fun watching the agility dogs fly around that course. The Papillon who won the 8 inch class lives only about an hour from here. I can't place the handler, but her name sounds so familiar and I used to trial in the town she lives in so I am almost positive we've crossed paths before!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Local PD had a bloodhound for search purposes; she was the sweetest girl and such a character. I was happy to see this boy win.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always heard that they were very sweet dogs. They look so determined when they are tracking but when they find the person they are tracking they are much more likely to lick them then to attack them. I no longer have a fenced backyard so a bloodhound is one of many dogs that would not work for me. Even if I still had the fenced in yard as I have gotten older I don't have the energy for a dog like a bloodhound.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Enya was so sweet and trustworthy that she often visited local schools and allowed all the kids to pat her. Then they did a demonstration where a kid was safely hidden and she found him based on sniffing his jacket or backpack.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have always heard that they were very sweet dogs. They look so determined when they are tracking but when they find the person they are tracking they are much more likely to lick them then to attack them. I no longer have a fenced backyard so a bloodhound is one of many dogs that would not work for me. Even if I still had the fenced in yard as I have gotten older I don't have the energy for a dog like a bloodhound.
It's funny because Bloodhounds always look like the stereotype of a lazy dog who sleeps all day, but when they're young dogs they're CRAZY high in energy and loads of fun and antics. They're like having a two year old around!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Enya was so sweet and trustworthy that she often visited local schools and allowed all the kids to pat her. Then they did a demonstration where a kid was safely hidden and she found him based on sniffing his jacket or backpack.
Tracking dogs are amazing. I had a dog who was the son of a champion tracker, and we never did tracking (couldn't find a class for that), he had natural ability. It was really awesome to see that instinct just burst out. I have done scent work with my current dogs and it just makes me beam when I see my dog go to the articles, work the pile, then bring back the correct scented article. It's really fascinating how strong their noses are.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a friend who does scent work with her GSD and it is fascinating. Several years ago I house sat for a beagle whose dad was a champion field dog. She was a pet, but on walks she took off as if there was something really important to find. She walked me really, and brought me back home.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a friend who does scent work with her GSD and it is fascinating. Several years ago I house sat for a beagle whose dad was a champion field dog. She was a pet, but on walks she took off as if there was something really important to find. She walked me really, and brought me back home.
We take care of a beagle, and we can always tell if there's been a critter in the yard overnight. Normally he saunters outside and casually sniffs around, but if there's been a visitor he darts out the door baying at the top of his lungs and running all over the yard with his nose to the ground. Beagles are hilarious!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are characters. I made the mistake of tossing a nice treat over the wall to her and that really started something!