Blood Work And Metronidazol

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again.

So my 9mnth old kitty had full blood work done a few days ago on the advice of our vet as she was showing possible signs of anaemia. We got the results back and although some look a bit concerning to me the vet was very blase about it and just told us she needs to drink more water... I was wondering if anyone here could take a look and let me know what they think of her results and translate them in to health concerns etc. Ie kidney failure, Anaemia, liver failure etc. I notice her platelets are very low. Does anyone know if this can be caused by metronidazol? She was on this for 10 days for suspected bacterial infection causing diarrhoea . Thanks!
IMG_20180316_130919_721.jpg
IMG_20180316_130919_721.jpg
IMG_20180316_130804_004.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the lymphocytes are very slightly elevated, but the platelets seem significantly low, to me. I would suggest taking those results and getting a second opinion, as low platelets can be caused by so many things, some relatively insignificant, some VERY significant. You need a vet who will discuss things like that with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks mamanyt1953 unfortunately I don't have much choice around here. I have sent them to another vet but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. This is why I am asking here and Instagram also. In the hopes someone can tell me more. She currently has a uri and previously had diarrhoea for which she was on the metronidazol. One vet told me to give her 2ml twice a day for 5 days. Then then it didnt clear up i was told 3ml twice a day until the diarrhoea clears up. There was a break of a few days in between but they all took it for 10 days. My fear is that I have given her, and possibly others (I have 6) kidney or liver failure from too much metronidazol ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - according to vetinfo, "a side effect of this drug can be a drop in white blood cell count.
Recovery can take up to a fortnight.
Toxicity occurs with very high doses/prolonged use, and the effects are usually seen in impaired functioning of the brain and difficulty in maintaining body balance".

Did you ever find out what caused the bacterial infection? The main thing, however, is that everything is cleared up from the previous problems. At this point you're trying to determine if the momma cat and 5 kittens' organs are ok after the medication. Is everyone eating drinking and using the litter boxes?

In any case, have you tried addressing the uri with litter changes due to dustiness? You're in Rabigh Saudi Arabia - I assume it's dusty there. Maybe obtain an air cleaner? Also, eliminating other strongly scented candles, air fresheners, cleaner sprays and dryer sheets?

Let us know what the other vet says, hang in there!! :goodluck: