Blood Vessel Issue After Cat Clawing

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So anyone has had this kind of issue?

About two-three years ago one of my cat's did claw my finger a bit, since that there was bright red spot like made with sharp end of needle, directly in blood vessel on that finger.

About 10 months ago blood vessel got bit larger and quite soon after that it was almost like in pictures. Now it starts to make finger to feel bit numb at times and feels rather tight. I have no idea what is happening to it and I doubt healthcare is any use for this as it seems to be useless for every issue.

Red spot has kinda vanished, there is bit of purple stripe in place of it though.
upload_2017-12-20_9-13-48.png

Here that bulge is seen quite well, if you compare to finger in background.
upload_2017-12-20_9-18-8.png

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you don't trust healthcare, but I really think you need to visit a doctor about this.

Is it life-threatening? Probably not; you should have known before now if it was infected. Is it dangerous? Yes! Specifically, it's dangerous to your hand. The neuropathy (i.e. numbness) that you report is quite worrisome. It sounds like something (probably a blood clot) is impinging on a nerve or nerves. I have neuropathy in my left hand that's causing no end of trouble for me; I'd hate to see you in a similar position when it's likely that you could get it fixed quite easily. My guess is that you need either to have the injury lanced to relieve pressure or (because you've left it so long) you may need minor outpatient surgery to have a clot removed.

Margret

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Margret makes a lot of sense, jtbo jtbo . I know you don't trust your health care very much, but it probably should be seen, if for nothing else, just to make sure that there's not something funky going on inside.

(And that doesn't mean you should lance it yourself!!)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Margret makes a lot of sense, jtbo jtbo . I know you don't trust your health care very much, but it probably should be seen, if for nothing else, just to make sure that there's not something funky going on inside.

Good advice. Make an appointment and go to the doctor. If for no other reason, maybe you can get peace of mind about your finger.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are against going to a DR. or like me can't afford it, (6500.00 deductible) have the Dr. look at it the next time you DO go in, surely you go in for SOMETHING once in awhile. That's what I do when I go in for a pap smear, ETC, if it hasn't got a lot worse in that amount of time it most likely won't. I have a feeling you have a weak spot in the vessel there now, that may leak fluid at times, or even developed a little cyst right there that would explain the numbness. I get ganglion cysts once in a while on the base of my fingers on my palm, and at the first joint of my thumb. It swells up like that and gets even painful at times, but eventually goes back down. Completely harmless, but annoying, it causes numbness too. But to be sure you really need to have a Dr. look at it, most can tell what it is by looking and feeling it.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So anyone has had this kind of issue?

About two-three years ago one of my cat's did claw my finger a bit, since that there was bright red spot like made with sharp end of needle, directly in blood vessel on that finger.

About 10 months ago blood vessel got bit larger and quite soon after that it was almost like in pictures. Now it starts to make finger to feel bit numb at times and feels rather tight. I have no idea what is happening to it and I doubt healthcare is any use for this as it seems to be useless for every issue.

Red spot has kinda vanished, there is bit of purple stripe in place of it though.
View attachment 210632

Here that bulge is seen quite well, if you compare to finger in background.
View attachment 210634
I had something like that a few years back. I was cleaning the siding on my house with a brush attached to a long metal pole and went a bit overboard. The middle knuckle on my middle finger on my right hand.....it kind of swelled up a bit and got stiff and purply looking........Sometimes it sort of got stuck when I would straighten my finger.....There's a term for that I think?......Trigger finger maybe?.... Probably a good idea to have a doc look at it eventually.....Since you had the cat scratch before the pain and stiffness. I figured my problem was probably tendonitis from overuse and pressing the knuckle against the scrub brush. It was on my non dominant hand so it was easy to not overuse it for a few weeks and it went away.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: This is not something you want to do yourself. Getting the instruments sterile is a lot harder than it looks like on television, and it will be a lot easier on you to have someone else do it.

Margret