Blood - Rabies - Total Fear - Need Help Asap!

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have bad generalized anxiety and am about chew off my own arm right now from total dread and fear.
We have raccoons in the yard regularly. In the city 5 miles away from us, people are currently being treated for rabies due to aggressive acting raccoons.
I have regularly taken care of ferals over the years.

There was a young cat who is very pretty and he showed up two weeks ago.

Unlike the ferals who are dead silent, he would vocalize at me loudly.

Until I saw his privates (he is not neutered) I thought he was a mama cat crying at me to help find their babies.

Since he was so pathetic and seemed scared to be outside, I decided to bring him into my basement until I could arrange to get him neutered and checked out by a vet.

He walked in the back door on his own.
He was still overly affectionate and vocal inside.
When I tried to exit the basement, he swatted and his claw caught my wrist and drew a tiny amount of blood, but enough to bleed for a few minutes.

I cleaned it with an alcohol toner.

I am now completely having an unhinged meltdown.

I don't know what to do.

My friends are all freaking me out. Telling me I only have 3 days or less to get a serious of 4 shots.

I need to calm down. Can someone please give me some sage advice here?

The cat is still in the basement and has quieted down now. He peed in the cat pan(which makes me think he was discarded by an owner since he was so blase about using the cat pan)
He ate some food. But he has NOT had any water. One of my friends said that is a bad sign and he may be avoiding it.

But aside from the tiniest fresh cut on his back paw he looks very healthy.
I gave him capstar for fleas, but it appears he didn't even have any fleas.

Sadly my mind is creating wild scenarios that the raccoon out back scratched him and then he scratched me and had rabies possibly.

He was was definitely around the raccoons.

How should I view this whole situation? Go get shots? I don't have a doctor or insurance currently.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I get scratched all the time by my cats and one of my cats got bit by a raccoon. No problems here. The bigger concern would be if infection sets in on the scratch. Most scratches will heal without a problem. Keep it clean, apply antibiotic ointment, basic care type things. If you notice it getting red or swelling then see your doctor.

If the cat doesnt show any sign of being sick himself the risk of disease is extremely low.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We don't have rabies here in Australia, so I don't know the 'drill'. But others will know, just as Kieka has offered her experience. I just wanted to offer support and hope you can feel more settled soon.
This boy is obviously not a feral and it's wonderful that you have him inside and safe. :hugs:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Can rabies be transmitted by a scratch? I was always under the impression that it was passed through the saliva.

Seems like you've done the normal precautions with scratches, so I'd just say keep an eye on it.

If he's as friendly as you say and if he doesn't seem to have any wounds or abscesses, my guess would be that his health is okay. If you are really anxious about it, then do keep him quarantined until you can talk to your vet about it. I hope he settles down for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The CDC protocol is to confine the cat indoors for 10 days to be observed. If he's still alive in 10 days, he does not have rabies. If he dies in those 10 days, go get rabies shots.
CDC - Domestic Animals - Rabies

After those 10 days, have him vaccinated and neutered, and then you won't have to worry about him anymore :D.
Thanks, that's my plan.
A French website went into detail that generally it is 8 days total, but I will do 10 just to be safe.
9 days to go.
Main issue is he is quarantined in the basement, but is howling when I'm not in the basement with him.
Roommate is majorly annoyed and keeps wanting to release him, so I am keeping an eagle eye out that he is secure in the basement at all times.

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's my plan.
A French website went into detail that generally it is 8 days total, but I will do 10 just to be safe.
9 days to go.
Main issue is he is quarantined in the basement, but is howling when I'm not in the basement with him.
Roommate is majorly annoyed and keeps wanting to release him, so I am keeping an eagle eye out that he is secure in the basement at all times.
How is the cat now? How is your claw cut?
No swelling, no redness. Honestly, my mosquito bite hurts worse.
The cat looks fine thankfully. Bright eyed and good appetite.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get scratched all the time by my cats and one of my cats got bit by a raccoon. No problems here. The bigger concern would be if infection sets in on the scratch. Most scratches will heal without a problem. Keep it clean, apply antibiotic ointment, basic care type things. If you notice it getting red or swelling then see your doctor.

If the cat doesnt show any sign of being sick himself the risk of disease is extremely low.
Yup....
Rabies is transmitted by saliva. The OP's friends mean well I'm sure but seem to be jumping the gun a bit IMO.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give him a couple toys or something to calm down the howling?
Sometimes white noise (low, quiet, but white noise) helps, too, like a fan running on low. Outdoor cats aren't used to silence and sometimes this breaks the silence up and helps them relax a bit.
ETA: Also, keep the room dim or dark-ish, not brightly lit.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No swelling, no redness. Honestly, my mosquito bite hurts worse.
The cat looks fine thankfully. Bright eyed and good appetite.
Watch the cut, but honestly by now I imagine you'd feel pain or notice swelling.
If this were a bite, I'd be more concerned about that "red line" traveling up your arm.
Don't sweat. I think you'll be fine =)
I've been bitten, half-arsed, and bitten deeply, scratched, swatted, slapped, screamed at, and had full blown adorable "attacks" from baby kittens "killing" my foot or hand in play that would make your "awwww" meter hit the top then explode because they're just so cute when they think they're mighty. =)
I've never had a problem, but keeping the cuts or bites or scratches or whatever clean is key.
I had a barn cat as a kid that would swat/claw anyone walking away from him. It was an overstimulation thing, not aggressive, just a cat with a weird personality that we loved anyways.
Be smart, but be cool...you'll be fine =)

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup....
Rabies is transmitted by saliva. The OP's friends mean well I'm sure but seem to be jumping the gun a bit IMO.
I think they're freaking out because my experience is bad timing around here. We're about 10 miles from DC's Georgetown.
A couple days ago, a raccoon attacked people in front of an ice cream parlor there.
People have had a minor meltdown as 4 people were apparently bitten and are getting rabies shots.
Local news are trying to whip people into a panic I think.
The more I read about the incident, it appears the raccoon was in the wrong place at the wrong time and the people were drunk and trying to get a selfie with it.
Humans are wacky, amiright?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they're freaking out because my experience is bad timing around here. We're about 10 miles from DC's Georgetown.
A couple days ago, a raccoon attacked people in front of an ice cream parlor there.
People have had a minor meltdown as 4 people were apparently bitten and are getting rabies shots.
Local news are trying to whip people into a panic I think.
The more I read about the incident, it appears the raccoon was in the wrong place at the wrong time and the people were drunk and trying to get a selfie with it.
Humans are wacky, amiright?
You are SO right about that =)
WTF would anyone want a selfie with a random raccoon for anyway? People are insane.
Even if the raccoon WAS rabid (or had distemper or w/e), getting a selfie with an erratic acting wild animal is asking for trouble and is IMO the definition of stupidity. If I saw a raccoon stumbling around in broad day light, a selfie would be the LAST thing on my mind. (I've never taken a "selfie" in my life...)
Sometimes it seems as though we should remove all warning labels and let nature deal with it... =/
I think people freak out way too fast, way too early, over **** that doesn't matter. (bad word edited by me, lol.)

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 had a great idea with white noise and low lighting, do you think that would help your basement kitty, and keep your roomie a little calmer too?
Definitely good tips. I already have a real white noise machine due to snoring roommate, so I merely moved it between all three of us into central location.

I played with kitteh for a while and gave him a lot of fancy feast. He has been quiet and sleeping in a Chewy cardboard box, so that's a good sign. (I have several of my own cats, so I always have chewy.com boxes lying around
)

You are SO right about that =)
*** would anyone want a selfie with a random raccoon for anyway? People are insane.
Even if the raccoon WAS rabid (or had distemper or w/e), getting a selfie with an erratic acting wild animal is asking for trouble and is IMO the definition of stupidity. If I saw a raccoon stumbling around in broad day light, a selfie would be the LAST thing on my mind. (I've never taken a "selfie" in my life...)
Sometimes it seems as though we should remove all warning labels and let nature deal with it... =/
I think people freak out way too fast, way too early, over **** that doesn't matter. (bad word edited by me, lol.)
The more I learn about the story, the stranger the humans involved seem.
The raccoon was encountered at 10 PM. Sounds more like drama and less likely a rabid animal.

I know the trash pandas in my neighborhood are arrogant little things.
They will just stand staring blankly at me if I yell at them. Never any fear.
If I tried to sidle up them or corner them, I'm sure they'd freak out on me also.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a raccoon had attacked your cat, there would not be much left of your cat--he would likely be dead. On my block, feral cats and raccoons have always co-existed peacefully, neither want to enter into conflict. Also, a cat can easily out-run and out-climb a raccoon if necessary. In the highly unlikely event that a raccoon had bitten your cat, the bite wound would be obvious. Finally, rabies is transmitted through a bite, not a scratch.

Are you planning to keep the cat? Once you get him neutered, he will stop crying and will settle down. He is likely anxious to get out of the house so he can find a mate. It sounds like he is a stray and not a feral cat, so he will adjust to being indoors, or perhaps you can keep him as an indoor and outdoor cat. If your scratch is healed up by now, then no need to be concerned about infection. Cat bites, not cat scratches, tend to get infected, because bites are deep puncture wounds.

I hope you will consider keeping the cat inside your home. You'll want to get him to a vet in the next week for the neuter and vaccinations. The first rabies vaccination is a one-year shot, after that, most vets are willing to give the 3-year shot. When you take the cat to the vet, I would advise against mentioning anything about him having scratched you, or having rabies in your neighborhood. Some misinformed, novice vet mhat might panic and want to take the cat from you and quarantine him for 30 days or longer. This would be an unnecessary trauma for the cat. Even if you decide not to keep him indoors as a pet, I do hope you will get him neutered and vaccinated. Male cats who are not neutered often only live only a few years outdoors. Male cats who are not neutered will roam and fight other male cats for mates, and sometimes they fight to the death. Your cat will very likely calm down after he is neutered and will have a much longer, happier and healthier life as your pet.