Blood or red jelly-like substance in cat stool.

coastiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Scott would sometimes have blood at the end of his stool every once in a while. We switched him to grain free and it hasn't happened since!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it blood? Bloody mucus? Blood on stool?
I don't know. It seemed thick for blood. The first time it was on the stool, this time it was on the floor, and on the front of the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if u aren't old enough for a job where are your parents in all this?
Working. 1,100 dollar mortgage, 3-700 dollar electric bill (depending on season), 400 dollar grocery bill, and a bunch of other things monthly. We keep some saved back now that it's winter though. Will have enough money to go soon.

dezmozegreato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I'm in the same boat and would love to know if there is a guess to what this is.  I first noticed a thick jelly like substance on the wall around a month ago.  It's not in the litter box, I've only seen it on the floor.  I saw it again this morning on the floor by our bathroom.

Not sure if it's blood since it looks more like strawberry jelly.  Would blood remain red hours later?

Our cat is only a year old, she's a Devonrex and is very healthy.  She's not acting strange or showing any signs of illness, matter of a fact she's very playful.

Has anyone encountered this before?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OK, I'm in the same boat and would love to know if there is a guess to what this is.  I first noticed a thick jelly like substance on the wall around a month ago.  It's not in the litter box, I've only seen it on the floor.  I saw it again this morning on the floor by our bathroom.

Not sure if it's blood since it looks more like strawberry jelly.  Would blood remain red hours later?

Our cat is only a year old, she's a Devonrex and is very healthy.  She's not acting strange or showing any signs of illness, matter of a fact she's very playful.

Has anyone encountered this before?
Likely coccidia. Mucousy blood.

Coccidia is an intestinal parasite, albon and ponazuril treat this, ponazuril being first choice by a mile if you have a choice.

Blood is from an inflammed/irritated bowel.

Last edited:

karen petersen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This does not sound trivial. take her to the vet now and at the END of the visit explain your financial situation and give them a $20 deposit and tell them you will send them $10 a week until it is paid off. If they don't like it tough. (and go to a different vet next time)!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

This does not sound trivial. take her to the vet now and at the END of the visit explain your financial situation and give them a $20 deposit and tell them you will send them $10 a week until it is paid off. If they don't like it tough. (and go to a different vet next time)!
Hi Karen, Welcome to The Cat Site.

This is quite an old thread, I doubt if the original posters will respond now. Please come and tell us about yourself and your cats in our New Cats Forum though.

http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block

ChubbyPikablue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post but I'm still going to reply for the sake of people like me who search this topic. My 8 month old kitten is having the same problem, and while we can afford to take him to the vet we're due for a snowstorm so it could be a while before we can get him in. I called the vet's office to ask if we needed to get him in ASAP or if it can wait until the storm passes. According to the vet tech the cause is likely carrots or beats in his food causing discoloration (not harmful), the dye from the red string he half ate before my mom was able to pull it out of his mouth (also not harmful since she got the string itself out), mucus from a common virus that most shelter/stray cats have (nothing major; they'll basically just get a kitty cold once in a while), or a combination of any of those things.

If your cat has this you should still take them to a vet just to be sure, but it's likely not anything serious unless there are other symptoms such as diarrhea or avoiding being touched.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually it's caused by coccidia, an intestinal parasite and needs ponazuril (by far my drug of choice) to get rid of it. The key word was jelly-like.
NOT carrots or beets.
Very common for shelters to have and spread, as well as herpesvirus/rhinotracheitis.