Blood in vomit - ideas?

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents trapped an abandoned kitten about one month ago. We guess he's now about 8 months old.
He was neutered about 12 days ago and has been acting perfectly fine. He still has two stitches in - we're waiting for the vet to make a reappearance!

Last night he vomited 3 or 4 times and there is a reddish-pink colour.
He had eaten cat biscuits and tuna. His behaviour, urine and poop remains normal according to Mom.
I've told her to remove the dry food and the tuna, so he has been offered raw mince meat (he likes) and wet cat food (he doesn't like!), and water.

We can't get hold of our vet possibly for a few more days (there is no alternative vet without an 8 hour round trip which would stress the heck out of him and us!).

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
First, let me say that I am not a veterinarian nor qualified to give medical advice.

My Emerson will sometimes (like once, maybe twice a year, not a constant thing) cough so hard that he spits up red/pink foam. I really think it happens because he irritates his throat so much that he causes abrasions. It has always resolved itself and he got a clean bill of health from his annual a few days ago. Vomiting several times can certainly cause throat irritation. I myself have had blood-tinged vomit during bad stomach flus and food poisoning when I've had to throw up numerous times.

Could the color you are seeing be due to the raw meat?

That being said, I'm glad that you are reaching out to the vet. If anything, let his clinic know just so they are in the loop. Ask if they can offer advice- they may tell you just to monitor him.

Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could the color you are seeing be due to the raw meat?
Thanks for the reply. He had eaten only human tuna and dried biscuits previously (I wanted to know what he'd eaten in case that had coloured the vomit). Each vomit pool that I could find was reddish-pink. Unfortunately one was on dark grey/black tiles so I couldn't tell.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as he isn't throwing up constantly, I think you can wait for your vet next week. However, if he keeps throwing up, especially if there is more blood, I personally would go ahead and take him to ER.

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he seems to have come right. Every-time my Mom calls me with a cat 'emergency' I tell her to remove the dry food and human tuna immediately! And there is a dramatic improvement almost immediately! ;)
I never understand the resistance to giving pets as close a natural and healthy diet as practically possible :confused:
I researched and learnt the hard way.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he is doing better! Make sure if she is feeding him raw that it is completely balanced for kittens. :)

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish! She declines anything to do with my raw food mix, sadly most the cats agree! I had two who loved it but they've also gone to the dark side!
The raw mince alone was just for a day or two. Cat vitamins drops were hopefully added...I provided them.
My, now unloved, standard raw mix: Raw Cat Food Recipe | Meow Lifestyle