blood in urine

LouLou9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My ten year old male cat Toki has had blood in his urine for 5 months. He has no other symptoms. He has had urine tests, blood test, Xray and ultrasound and all come back perfectly normal. The diagnosis is ideopathic UTI. The vet has basically said nothing we can do. He has had antibiotics, and a variety of natural therapies including homeopathics, colloidal silver, cranberry powder, herbal tonics and hemp oil. He is also taking Cystophan which helps rebuild bladder lining. Nothing has worked so far. I have studied cat behavioural remedies to enable us to make his life as stress free as possible. But there is still quite a bit of blood i his urine and over the months it has changed from being cloudy yellow with blood swirls to being either light or dark greenish with blood. It appears to be getting worse rather than better, Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I feel there must be some underlying cause more than stress but running out of options to try.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try Cornsilk, it's an anti inflammatory and all natural. I would also consider a second opinion with a different vet practice. It's a long time for him to have blood in his urine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LouLou9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. My vet has consulted with a few other vets - none have an answer. He will be seeing a holistic vet this week.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet has consulted with a few other vets - none have an answer.
If these vets were all within the same practice, I would seek out another vet from an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias). All the test results can be copied (for free) for you to share with another vet of your choosing. I would also want to ask about a prescription anti-inflammatory. Perhaps, after the prescription has been completed, begin a long term natural product like V verna davies mentioned above.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What was the ultrasound done on? Bladder or kidneys? My GSD who is 15 is having this issue now and it is being called Idiopathic Renal Hematuria, not UTI. We have ruled out that the source is his bladder; however, we all agree that it is probably originating in the kidneys. His blood work does show kidney involvement at his age. He is receiving palliative care but I would encourage you to go further with this. Frankly, my dog is not bleeding as often as your kitty and it has not been as of long a duration.

LouLou9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What was the ultrasound done on? Bladder or kidneys? My GSD who is 15 is having this issue now and it is being called Idiopathic Renal Hematuria, not UTI. We have ruled out that the source is his bladder; however, we all agree that it is probably originating in the kidneys. His blood work does show kidney involvement at his age. He is receiving palliative care but I would encourage you to go further with this. Frankly, my dog is not bleeding as often as your kitty and it has not been as of long a duration.
Thank you for replying. Ultrasound was on all of his abdomen - bladder, kidneys and liver. Blood work shows kidneys functioning well. I am not just monitoring it, as vets suggested, but continuing to try things and get other opinions, which is why I posted here.

LouLou9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying. Ultrasound was on all of his abdomen - bladder, kidneys and liver. Blood work shows kidneys functioning well. I am not just monitoring it, as vets suggested, but continuing to try things and get other opinions, which is why I posted here. Hemp oil is an anti-inflammatory,

LouLou9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If these vets were all within the same practice, I would seek out another vet from an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias). All the test results can be copied (for free) for you to share with another vet of your choosing. I would also want to ask about a prescription anti-inflammatory. Perhaps, after the prescription has been completed, begin a long term natural product like V verna davies mentioned above.
No they were from different practices and also the people at the testing lab. Hemp oil is an anti-inflammatory,