Blood in urine

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat is about 4 years old, and has neurological issues that create issues for him with peeing and pooping, and make him more susceptible to UTI's. About a week ago he was showing all the usual signs of a UTI, small little pee's on the floor (normal for him when he has a UTI), acting differently, less appetite, etc. 6 days ago woke up to find blood in his urine. Took him to the vet, which prescribed Clavamox for the UTI, which has worked for him in the past.

So been giving him Clavamox for about 6 days, and there has been slow improvement, his urine has become less and less 'red' looking, more normal looking but still with a bit of a brown tint, so definitely not totally clear. He has also been acting more normal, appetite slowly coming back, personality more normal, etc...all the normal signs that he is getting better.

Yesterday night for the first time since the vet visit, I saw him doing a more 'normal' length/amount of pee, which i took as one more good sign. However, this morning i woke up to a much 'redder' tint to his urine on the floor than the past few days (probably the reddest since maybe the day after first started the clavamox). This of course has me worried! He is otherwise still showing signs of improvement...ate pretty much like normal last night and this morning for the first times, and acting more and more like his feisty self.

Should I take him back to the vet today or tomorrow for the redder tint in the urine again? Or is it normal for there to be some variation in the tint of the urine throughout the clavamox treatment? Is it possible that the redder tint is somehow related to the more 'normal' amount/length of pee he is doing again? He still has about 8 days left of his clavamox treatment, should I just be worried, or just let the treatment run its course?

Any thoughts/opinions/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would call the vet and tell them what you've told us and ask what they think. I would not think the amount of pee is going to affect how bloody it looks - if anything, a larger volume of pee would 'dilute' the amount of blood. Is it possible that he has urinary crystals? They can irritate the bladder wall and cause bleeding. they can also cause bleeding in the urethra while passing with the urine. If he hasn't had one already, an x-ray should show any crystals that might be in his bladder. Depending on the type of crystals/stones, specialized foods can be given to him to help dissolve them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona herself had UTIs which did not resolve, repeatedly, and ended up with surgery for bladder crystals. She recovered and lived for many more years....not like you are happy about this, but I do recommend that you follow it through.

With humans, not sure about cats, if the correct antibiotic is not given for the UTI it will not clear up.

If this all resolves itself, but I do think that you need to continue to contact the vet about this episode, D Mannose can help prevent UTIs but not cure them. And you have to know that there is not some underlying cause like bladder crystals or stones.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your cat doing? You might want to ask your vet about something for inflammation. Apollo was not on pain meds. My Apollo had a UTI that cleared up with antibiotics but still had blood in his urine. My vet prescribed Dasuquen for inflammation and I have seen a huge improvement in less than a week. Apollo has returned to using the litter box all the time to pee in. I have also noticed that size of his pee clumps has increased quickly. He has also stopped hiding and is back to hanging out in his normal spot in our living room. My very difficult to medicate cat is now asking for his medicine. He is also proudly showing me his new larger pee clumps by calling me to watch him pee if I am awake when he is peeing. He is back to his happy vocal self. His meows have changed back to normal too.