Blood in Urine

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’m hoping to get a bit of advice or knowledge about blood in my cats urine. I will be calling my vet in the morning, but they are closed and I’m freaking out.

Anyway, last Wednesday my cat peed outside of her litter box. And I noticed there was blood in her urine when I cleaned it up. I took her to the vet right away and they gave her 10 day twice a day Amoxicillin prescription. She has three pills left of it. Then today when I went to clean her litter box, she had peed over the side and the pee pad had a lot of blood in it. She has been on this prescription for over a week. She should be getting better not worse. There was not that much blood a week ago, and now over a week with medication there is a lot more.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps longer antibiotics are needed, perhaps a different/stronger antibiotic is needed. Maybe they can not only do a urinalysis but also a urine culture to see if anything additional is going on. UTIs are sometimes caused by stress. Is she is highly fearful cat or had any trauma lately, even like if furniture was moved, or a room was painted or something seemingly minor? That can all affect her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did have a baby seven months ago. She was very worried and scared of the baby at first, she wouldn’t go near him, but now she approaches him and lays near him all the time. She rubs against the baby all the time now. The only change I can think of other than the baby is, she took over one of the babies blankets I had set up on the floor for my son, Easter weekend I picked it up to wash it. Afterwards when I put it back she peed on it. There wasn’t any blood, I assumed it was just her being territorial. I put the blanket away after the incident.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Call the vet and tell them what is going on, and see if a urine culture was taken. The urine culture would detect the type of bacteria causing the infection and identify the most effective antibiotics for it. Maybe they will be willing to prescribe a different antibiotic? Although stress possibly caused by the new baby, followed by the blanket incident could have contributed to the beginnings of a UTI, it doesn't sound like there is a really big issue now from that standpoint. Hopefully, it is just a matter of her needing a different antibiotic. Let us know what the vet says!

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet and they are extending her prescription and giving her an anti inflammatory. If it continues afterwards they are going to do an xray check for crystals and want to check her urine again. They want to extract it via needle next time, which I am against as it hurts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They want to extract it via needle next time, which I am against as it hurts.
Is that because they think it will be more sterile, or because she is hard to get urine from? Feeby has 'waited out' the vet for hours while they held her to try to get her to pee on her own. Now, the vet just gently squeezes her abdominal area where the bladder is and he gets her to pee every time - enough for testing. But, they syringe it from the table top and have never been worried that it isn't sterile enough. That must be the case, because there have been numerous times there was no bacteria in the urine sample. Maybe a suggestion for your vet to try the squeeze approach before using a needle?

In the meantime, I hope the extra antibiotics - as well as the anti-inflammatory make a difference!

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They got it out manually last time using the squeeze approach. Its the only way I am comfortable with. Years ago, my other cat Charlie had a similar issue and I allowed them to extract the urine with the syringe and he was literally cowering and crying afterwards. I will never allow that invasive procedure to happen to them ever again.

Thank you! I hope it works!

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

So last week the blood returned. Rory went back to the vet, in the end they had to sedate her in order to properly examine her as she was too upset. (With the virus I can’t go in with her) so after another urine analys, blood draw and x rays, thankfully she doesn’t have stones and it is not cancer. She has either a urinary track infection or I forget the term but her bladder hurts. She has been on new antibiotics for a few days, but there is still blood present in her urine. Hoping it will clear up soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I am guessing if not a UTI, then the bladder 'hurting' would suggest inflammation and/or spasms. Both can be attributed to some form of cystitis (commonly brought on by stress or high-anxiety). The urinalysis/urine culture should have been able to confirm whether or not there is an actual infection. Did the vet mention anything about anti-inflammatories or anti-spasmodics?

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was given metacam for three days, I think that is an anti-inflammatory. She has an antibiotic for 14 days, it’s different from her original medication.

I think it could be stress related, our house was very quiet prior to the birth of our son. Now he is getting more mobile this seems to be happening. I don’t let him touch her and she has her own spaces not sure what else I could do.