Blood In Urine Dripping Second Round Of Antibiotics, Constant Pancreatitis

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitty had blood dripping with urine two days after internal medicine vet appointment. Second time this month. Now on second round of Clavamox that helps but not rid of infection as came back, awaiting urine culture. Urinalysis was ok. BUN is 57 creatinine is 3.2 after off antibiotics for one week, went down to 2.1 when started antibiotics before, getting subQ daily. SDMA normal. PLI 50, lipase high but coming down. Pancreatitis for a few years now. Had thyroid tumor I131 treatment last spring and benign liver tumor 2016 removed. Also 7 bad teeth surgically removed by vet dentist a few months ago and was on antibiotics for that too. Going up on steroid Budesonide to .6 mg was at .4. Pancreatitis nothing seems to help - has nodular pancreatic hyperplasia. I love my kitty and she is happy & eating good, gaining weight. Inflammatory Bowel Disease since she was a baby. She is almost 16. I am frustrated that her kidney / bladder infection and pancreatitis are not well controlled and worry about her not being able to get off antibiotics. New antibiotic suggestions are welcome!!!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With normal SDMA, it appears she doesn't have kidney failure, so that's good. What is your Vet diagnosing the issue as? Kidney infection, kidney stones?

Poor baby certainly has been through it, hasn't she? But if she's eating well, and appears happy, that says it all, doesn't it.

I would not want any cat to have to live on antibiotics either, that's, why I ask what the diagnosis is? If it's an advanced kidney infection, one round of antibiotics might not kick it, but she shouldn't have to be on them for life, I wouldn't think. But there are definitely antibiotics for specific thing, so your Vet is the best person to make that decision, based on diagnosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My instinct is that the pancreatitis and urinary tract have an infection - her white cell count was elevated before but came down when on the antibiotic. When she was on the antibiotic her creatinine was 2.1 but after she was off the antibiotic for a week it jumped to 3.2. Her culture didn't show anything but she peed before they took it and had sub Q fluids earlier before the appointment. Two days after her appointment blood in the urine and urgency to go again. I think she needs to be on the antibiotic longer regardless of what the tests say. The blood and urgency to go stop when she goes on Clavamox- twice now so I hope her vet does the right thing. I'd rather keep her on Clavamox longer than on and off of it. I think that it is needed. Hope it is not anything else.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes...….the thing with Antibiotics... They are great for ending infections if they are the correct antibiotic and the duration of the prescription is long enough. If your cat has been on Clavamox before (even years ago), she absolutely could be building up a tolerance to the Clavamox (and other antibiotics that are very similar to it). Which would mean, she either needs to be on it longer, as the germ has probably gotten stronger now (that is one of the ways antibiotic-resistance works....), or be put onto yet another antibiotic. Also, they can and probably should do a Urine Culture and Sensitivity Test and find out the EXACT bacteria and the best Antibiotic for this particular bacteria.
Best of luck with this!!!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Urine culture was negative but symptoms came back two days after test was done. And her creatinine showed elevated in spite of negative culture. It was down when on antibiotic. I think she just needs to be on it longer

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, a Urine test can indeed come back negative, and for the record, it is a "False Negative". If they are currently on an antibiotic and the test is done, or just shortly after going off the antibiotic. AND, another scenario for a "False Negative" is that the bacteria that the antibiotic was working on is somewhat (or really!) resistant to that antibiotic, is just merely suppressed by that antibiotic. Then, as SOON as the antibiotic dosing stops, that germ starts growing again...…. Just SO upsetting! :(

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The test was done one week after going off the antibiotic but two days later the blood in urine and urgency to go came back and at the time of the test her creatinine was elevated to 3.2 normal for her is 2.5 and on antibiotic was 2.1
I told them next time send it to a university lab somewhere else!
I just think she needs to be on the antibiotic longer

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bet you are right! Just a question : So, when she was on the regimen of the antibiotic, and was getting towards the end of it, did she seem to be improved?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The minute she was on the antibiotic within an hour bleeding stopped within a few hours urgency to go stopped. She may need it longer term. last time she was on it a very long time and then my vet lowered her Budesonide and her pancreatitis improved but it waxed and waned now her spec fPLI is always 50 and she has this infection coming back.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I really do think you are so right. If it initially took care of it, she may have built up some resistance, but is not completely immune to it. So an extended dosing would most likely take care of it at this time! Best of luck on this and I am thinking of you. It is so upsetting and stressful to see them be so ill.