Blood In Urine After Urinary Blockage

KrissyMaddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have been coming on here for the last 2 weeks to ease my mind about my cats recent blockage. Thankfully he's been doing well...up until this past weekend, and I cannot find any other posts regarding this exact situation.

My 5 year old male cat Glenn had two urinary blockages in 2015. He was also living with another (dominant) male cat during that time, which after his 2nd block, we rehomed the other cat (technically he went back to his original home). Since July 2015, he has been fine! Has gained a bit of weight, has dealt with other minor changes in the apartment, and has officially been adopted by myself.

However, I was in the process of moving during the month of April (bringing some things down to our new apartment slowly to not stress him out) and had it planned he would move down officially on 4/27 with my bed and clothes! He was also going to be introduced to a dog (who he has never seen before) and he has only ever lived in the old apartment.

On Tuesday 4/24 I took him to the vet for final vaccinations and to get a recommendation for an anxiety medication for the hour drive to the new apartment and transition. 4 hours later, he was in the litterbox for 15+ minutes straining to urinate. I took him to the vet ER and $1400 later, he was there for two nights for a blockage.

Along with the sudden trip the vet, and changes in the apartment, I had also switched him to the Rachel Ray food. Since leaving the ER, he has been on a strict Science Diet C/D diet. We also did the move, and oddly enough, he has been recovering well and transitioning nicely (still will take more time for him to get used to smaller quarters and the dog).

Then around 3:30am Sunday morning, I noticed he kept going to the box, peeing a little, coming out, licking himself, returning to the box, over and over for 2 hours until finally he came to bed. His behavior, his appetite, his demeanor have been normal! Last night about 8pm, I noticed blood in his urine.

He had urine in his blood in 2015 after the last blockage, and his vet just prescribed him the same medication to continue, then he was fine a week later. Same as then, he had normal appetite, behavior, etc.

I am waiting to hear back from the vet ER he was treated at, but I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this? He is still peeing, no straining, just frequently going.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You definitely want to talk with a vet, but it is not uncommon for stress alone to cause inflammation of the bladder with some bloody urine in cats. And he's had a lot of changes recently, so that may be the culprit! Crossing my fingers that it is just that simple! :crossfingers:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you can get him into the vet soon! Stress can cause such problems with cats! Hopefully he is fine, but as he has had blockages in the past i would want him checked soon as possible. sending you guys best wishes! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrissyMaddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I spoke with the ER he went to, they are extending the time he is on the medication because they believe he is just inflamed. That's what they did before when this happened, so hopefully another week or so of the meds will help! I feel so bad because he is limited to the bedroom and living room now, where in the old apartment he had an upstairs, 3 different bedrooms, and other nooks and krannys he could hang out in! And on top of it, the poor dog just wants to play with him and he isn't a social cat when it comes to playing! (He'll play with a human over another animal haha).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how he's doing, please! You and your Glenn are a part of our community now, and we'll fret if you just up and disappear on us!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrissyMaddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know how he's doing, please! You and your Glenn are a part of our community now, and we'll fret if you just up and disappear on us!
So far so good! I thought he was blocking again last night but I think he just felt the urge to pre with the inflammation and had no urine to pass. He has peed a lot since late last night though! The vet refilled his meds so he will stay on them a little longer to be 100% healed :) and no blood since Sunday!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent! I feel much better about your boy now! YOU GO (quite literally) GLENN!