Blood in Urine After Blockage And Catheter Removal

YingYangCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat was taken to the vet on December 26 for urinary blockage. He was released January 1. He had been okay with his pee slightly orange to clear with frequent urination. However since last night his urine has turned a darker red I’m not sure if this is still normal after having a catheter in. I’ve called my vet where He had this done but he hasn’t called us back.. he’s still able to urinate but now has that to his urine. I’ve been giving him antibiotics and his prescription food with water since then. I’m super worried so please can someone help me.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I hope that your cat makes a full recovery from the procedure and urinary problems he is having. On one hand, the use of a catheter can be irritating and blood can appear in the urine after everything is over. However, it is too big a chance to decide that this must be the reason as the presence of blood can indicate other issues or a continued problem. The fact that he is urinating is a good sign and you are right to continue all medications and prescription food.

I would keep calling the vet, or whatever is appropriate to reach him so that you can report this and bring your cat back in if need be. It is the weekend, so that might have something to do with the lack of a call back, but I would not ignore this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YingYangCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I hope that your cat makes a full recovery from the procedure and urinary problems he is having. On one hand, the use of a catheter can be irritating and blood can appear in the urine after everything is over. However, it is too big a chance to decide that this must be the reason as the presence of blood can indicate other issues or a continued problem. The fact that he is urinating is a good sign and you are right to continue all medications and prescription food.

I would keep calling the vet, or whatever is appropriate to reach him so that you can report this and bring your cat back in if need be. It is the weekend, so that might have something to do with the lack of a call back, but I would not ignore this.
Thank you so much!
I’m super grateful for your answer.
I will continue to call him or go somewhere else. It’s tough cause where I live not many weekend vets. I appreciate you