Blood in stool

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, i need some help. My cat Leo, 7 years old, has had some blood in his stool. about three days ago i found some poop in the litter box that looked a little bloody it was bright red and i assumed it was my new kittens, 2 months old, since she had been plucking off of Leo's food i assumed it upset her stomach and maybe it was a little hard for her to pass so i started being even more strict on her eating her own food and made sure to put Leo's food back into his food container when he was done. fast forward a day later i see her stool is healthy but then as i see Leo climbing out of the litter box it was his that had blood, more than last time. not a ton but it was bright red. I fed him some wet food and made sure to make his dry food soft with water hoping it was maybe some dehydration or some constipation. However he passed some stool about 30 minutes ago and it was even more blood this time.
I am worried however i am perplexed, Leo is acting normal, he's playing, snuggling, and happily eating his food (even right now having dinner) and he has no indication of any pain while trying to pass his stool. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow but i am looking for some thoughts on the situation? thank you for reading and any feedback. (sorry for the long post but i felt the explanation on why i haven't taken him to the vet yet was necessary)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! You're right. He needs to see the vet.
Good move! :)

There could be a lot of reasons why a cat might have bloody stool.

If a cat eats something like a bird or mouse (assuming your cat is a mouser or a birder) he might swallow a bone or a piece of feather which can cause blood in the stool as the foreign object passes. It could also be from a piece of plastic or part of one of his toys.

But this will usually be a one-time thing. If it is a one-off, okay. Keep an eye out to be sure it doesn't happen again. But, if it happens again, you've got a problem.

Cats are notorious for hiding when they are sick. You've got to keep a close eye out to spot a sick cat, sometimes.
When I say, "okay," I mean it's not a big emergency. If you have any doubt, a visit to the vet is in order.

Has he been eating anything that might make his stool red? Some kind of food with a lot of red dye in it?
Could he have gotten into any household chemicals or chemicals/poisons from outdoors?
I dunno'... Probably not. Just spitballing.

Bloody stool could come from changes in the cat's diet or some kind of food intolerance.
Again, it's often a short-term thing. As above, if it passes, keep an eye out to be sure.

A cat with parasites (worms or Giardia) can have bloody stool. This does not go away on its own. You need to see a vet to get this taken care of.

There are at least a half-dozen other things that I can think might cause bloody stool but they are ALL things you need to see a vet for.

I think you've done all that you can do at home. You've watched him to see if it goes away. It didn't. Now it's time to see a vet.

He's eating, drinking and playing like normal so I don't think it's a big emergency but it IS time to see the vet.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second all that was said above. Time for the vet and hopefully it’s something simple to clear up. Worms are a possibility that came to mind when I read “kitten.” Making sure he had wet food was very good to do. Straining can cause issues. Cats don’t show pain if possible. That’s an instinctive thing. In the wild showing pain can bring predatory responses so it’s natural for our babies to be tough. Personally, I don’t think they like us to worry either. They are taking good care of their humans. Please post back and let us know how Leo is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup! You're right. He needs to see the vet.
Good move! :)

There could be a lot of reasons why a cat might have bloody stool.

If a cat eats something like a bird or mouse (assuming your cat is a mouser or a birder) he might swallow a bone or a piece of feather which can cause blood in the stool as the foreign object passes. It could also be from a piece of plastic or part of one of his toys.

But this will usually be a one-time thing. If it is a one-off, okay. Keep an eye out to be sure it doesn't happen again. But, if it happens again, you've got a problem.

Cats are notorious for hiding when they are sick. You've got to keep a close eye out to spot a sick cat, sometimes.
When I say, "okay," I mean it's not a big emergency. If you have any doubt, a visit to the vet is in order.

Has he been eating anything that might make his stool red? Some kind of food with a lot of red dye in it?
Could he have gotten into any household chemicals or chemicals/poisons from outdoors?
I dunno'... Probably not. Just spitballing.

Bloody stool could come from changes in the cat's diet or some kind of food intolerance.
Again, it's often a short-term thing. As above, if it passes, keep an eye out to be sure.

A cat with parasites (worms or Giardia) can have bloody stool. This does not go away on its own. You need to see a vet to get this taken care of.

There are at least a half-dozen other things that I can think might cause bloody stool but they are ALL things you need to see a vet for.

I think you've done all that you can do at home. You've watched him to see if it goes away. It didn't. Now it's time to see a vet.

He's eating, drinking and playing like normal so I don't think it's a big emergency but it IS time to see the vet.

[/URL]
No, he hasnt eaten anything red. I was thinking it might be worms since he did escape maybe 2 weeks ago? my dad had the door open letting the dogs out at like 5am and he was drowsy so leo snuck right past him, he loves the cold and wants to go out when it gets chiller and is used to a screened in porch which we would let him out on, but would worms present this late? like i said its only happened three times in the last three days. he was only outside for maybe until 6:30am, as we had no idea he got out, i dont think he even left our porch. he's never caught anything but lizards which I'm careful of since once he was poisoned and needed to go to the vet when he was around 3 years old.
Leo does love plastic and to chew on it and has eaten it before and passed it but like you said its usually one off.
I just woke up and he ate his breakfast and is now playing with his sister so he still seems ok, although i know how notorious cats are for hiding their pain. (even if hes the one chasing her) the kitten, Venus, is completely healthy though and she has every vaccine except for rabies so i doubt he caught anything from her.
He's showing no signs of stress (no excessive grooming, hiding, swatting, or any anger in general, hes not clinging to me either) so i dont think its an emotional problem either. he was constipated for a night which i did find odd. after the first bloody stool, the next day when i was watching Venus to see if it was hers i noticed Leo didnt go at all that day. they always go between 8pm-10pm and one day Leo didn't then the next day, around the time hours of when he goes, another bloody stool showed up.
The constipation is another reason i decided to rehydrate him, as leo isnt a huge water drinker. Unfortunately i am not sure at what time he'll be able to make it to the vet, its 7:30am, but i actually have extremely bad eyesight and am forbidden to drive from my doctor so I'll have to rely on a family member and they're all quite busy but I will make sure he goes today. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little update: I made an appointment request for tomorrow, mostly because Leo just passed some stool again and although mushy but solid (due to the wet food) theres barely any blood, like just a drop. I will be keeping the appointment when they get back to me but its looking good that he'll be okay :)
Thank you!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he’s been constipated, that could be a reason.

Constipation is another one of those one-time things. It can happen once. If it happens for more than that, the cat needs to go to the doctor.

Casper had contraption bad enough to go to the doctor. It turned out to be mega colon.
It”s a good thing we got him in. He needed blood tests and X-rays and had to stay overnight. They had to give him three or four enemas to clean him out.

Casper now has pills to help keep things moving when we need them. He gets 1/4 tsp. of Miralax in his food every day. At least half of his diet needs to be wet food And we need to be sure he gets plenty of water.

Casper likes to lick the drips from the bathtub faucet so that covers his water. ;)

Definitely get him in. It might be something simple but, if it isn’t, he could end up getting really sick.