Blood In Stool And Very Smelly

Abbie Whitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,
I'm a new member! I need advice,
My house mate has a cat who is 2 almost three years old!
Over the past 6 months I have noticed blood in the cats stool and it smells, of her cat has pooped downstairs I can smell it upstairs!
I have spoken to her about the blood taken pictures and offered to take the cat to the vet!
My house mate is convinced it's because the cat swallows 'dreamie' treats whole and according to her the dreamies travel whole along the cats digestive system and cause bleeding in the poo! I'm banging my head against the wall with her, I'm so frustrated and concerned!
So now my house mate is crushing the dreamie biscuits up but it's still happening!
She won't take her to the vet even though the cat is on a care plan with unlimited free consultations, her argument is 'vets always want to investigate which costs money'
Also a cat of two years plus shouldn't be fed one pouch of wet food per day, she gives the cat 1/2 pouch in the morning and 1/2 at night!
I have two cats of my own and leave a gravity feeder in there room full of biscuits to which I regularly find her cat grazing on!
Should I just take the cat to the vets? I don't mind paying it's bothering me and I'm worried
I've attached an image of what the cats poo regularly looks like.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You need to take him to a vet. Blood in stool can be caused by a whole host of medical issues including, but not limited to, IBD, megacolon, anal gland infections, and parasites.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
6 months is a long time to allow a cat to have blood in her stool and do nothing about it!

When my kitten had diarrhea the blood was bright red because she was pooping so much (her bum was irritated). I took her to the vet after a few days when it didn't clear itself up, they gave us some powder to put in wet food once a day for a week and problem was solved!
The blood in the picture is dark red though, which I find to be more worrisome.

Although I do not think it is your responsibility to pay for your roommates cat to go to the vet, the kitten obviously needs to be checked out. What if the issue is potentially contagious and she could be infecting your kitty's too :(

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Abbie,

I would take kitty now and figure out the money part later. It could be something serious
or maybe colitis, which my Vincie girl had for about 2 years. She had loose stools that were
bloody and smelled wicked rank. The vet treated her with a strong antibiotic injection and a
steroid injection and wanted her diet changed. Finally after trying different foods I tried
Blue Buffalo for cats with digestive problems and the colitis cleared up in 3 weeks.

Please keep us posted. Poor Kitty and you are so sweet to do this for her.

Hugs,

Mia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbie Whitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for your replies!
I have two cats of my own one of which has pemphigus so I'm a regular at the vet, last year I was taking my pemphigus cat twice per week because his condition was so bad!!

I keep telling my house mate and expressing my concerns but she gets aggressive with me,
I am going to take her to the vet while my house mate is at work, as it's in the cats best interest!
Why have a pet if you don't want to look after it properly!!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
If she gives you any problems, tell her she is neglectful.

Mia

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I do not think it is your responsibility to pay for your roommates cat to go to the vet, the kitten obviously needs to be checked out. What if the issue is potentially contagious and she could be infecting your kitty's too :(
:yeah: We just had a member on here last week whose cat had bacterial loads which can be acquired by oral-fecal contact. (Cat's using the litter box, then licking their paws.)

I keep telling my house mate and expressing my concerns but she gets aggressive with me,
I am going to take her to the vet while my house mate is at work, as it's in the cats best interest!
I would take the cat to your roommate's vet if possible. They may be able to confirm the insurance, and the cat should preferably have all its medical records in one place.

Also, I'd start shopping for a better, non-aggressive roommate.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like old blood indicating this is coming from the upper GI tract. Poor thing. Cat is probably anemic if she's being underfed.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was always told blood IN the poop is totally different from blood ON the poop. Blood IN the poop is usually much more serious from that I was told. This looks like fresh red blood ON the poop. It could be anything from irritation pooping and a blood vessle or think of like a hemroid inside. Could be multiple things, I agree, the cat needs to be taken to the vet and also take the most fresh poop sample you can get. I'd check with the vet but in order for them to run tests on the poop, it needs to be fresh within a certain number of hours. if you can hang out by the litter box and try to put a paper towel under so they poop on that and grab it before the burry it in the litter.