Blood in grey stool-young cat

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One year old female cat. She's spayed and vaccinated. I think she was dewormed also but  can't remember. She eats a mix of dry and wet food. Dry food is Sportmix brand. Wet food I recently transitioned her from friskies to sheba grain free. Today I found a grey looking stool with a spot of blood on it in the litter box. She usually defecates once or twice a day and I had just cleaned the box so it was from either today or yesterday. Looked fresh though, so probably today. Any ideas to possible causes? I'm working on getting her a vet visit, so please don't just respond with something like "take her to a vet to find out." Thanks. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gray colored stool often indicates undigested fat.  This could mean either too much fat in the food or an absorption issue.  Since you have just switched foods it is probably a reaction to the food.  You could try going back to the food you were feeding and see if the issue clears up.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And a spot of  blood  on the stool usually means she just strained a little more than usual to have the bowel movement.  This is not normally anything to worry about. 

I would say a Vet visit is NOT in order if you switch back to her old food or maybe transition her slower (usually not required with canned, but maybe in her case necessary) and it straightens itself up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whew. Thank you guys. I guess I will try to transition her back. The reason I switched though is that friskies isn't really healthy. What do you think?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Friskies PATE is an ok food.  Any other Friskies I, personally, would not feed (too many carbs). Sheba PATE (IMHO), is better than Friskies, but we are just saying since you just changed foods, this issue could be caused by that, so maybe go back to the old food to see if it clears up, if it does, then you'll know it IS food related and can start over transitioning and perhaps mix the two wet foods for a few days before going strictly to the Sheba.  If it doesn't clear up, then it may not be food related afterall, and a Vet visit might be necessary afterall. 

Has she always been on the Sportmix, or is this new also?

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Friskies PATE is an ok food.  Any other Friskies I, personally, would not feed (too many carbs). Sheba PATE (IMHO), is better than Friskies, but we are just saying since you just changed foods, this issue could be caused by that, so maybe go back to the old food to see if it clears up, if it does, then you'll know it IS food related and can start over transitioning and perhaps mix the two wet foods for a few days before going strictly to the Sheba.  If it doesn't clear up, then it may not be food related afterall, and a Vet visit might be necessary afterall. 

Has she always been on the Sportmix, or is this new also?
Unfortunately she will not eat pate no matter what brand. Ok, I see what you're saying now. I'll switch her back and see if that helps. When I first got her I fed her one bag of Nutro, but then switched to Sportmix so she's probably been eating the Sportmix for 5 or 6 months with no problems. Also, now that I'm home from work I looked at her records and I guess the vet never de-wormed her when they gave her the vaccines. Should I get that done just in case? 

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get her from a shelter or rescue?  If you did then they probably dewormed her which would be why it isn't in her vet record.  If this is food related it may take a few days to completely clear up.

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I got her from someone giving her away on craigslist. I was helping a friend browse for jobs and found an ad for her and fell in love. I didn't ask if she was de-wormed but asked if she had been vaccinated and spayed and they said no. Most likely if they hadn't gotten her any vaccines (not even the kitten boosters) they probably did not deworm her.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are we still just talking about a drop of fresh blood on her stool?  If that is all, still not a worry.