Blood in cat stool

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi...I haven't been on here in awhile posting..But I have an issue...Well my kitty does..My cat is almost 12yrs old in July...And maybe a month ago..he went to vet and she had to do the type enema on him where he had to go under anesthesia...Cause on the xray it showed he was full of poop..but I could not understand that cause he had been pooping in the litter box..seen no alarming changes...
Well she did that procedure
.And during that time..he lost some weight..but actually I took him to the vet initially cause he was loosing weight...And his coat was looking not good at all..and he seemed to just not feel well
Was eating and drinking pretty well
Well brought him home
.hes been doing ok..Then in last couple days..hes acting like he dont feel well
But eating an drinking ok..using litter box ok
Just sluggish and his coat is looking not good again
And I planned on taking him to the vet asap if he didn't get better
Well this morning..
He went to litter box and pooped and there was blood and little mucus in his stool...Not alot but little..And on side of litter box there was little bit of blood and mucus..
So Im definitely contacting the vet asap
I just also want you all insight on it and anyone has had their cat or cats to do this..What was it etc...
One more thing during the time this all started in the very beginning
.Initally when took him in for weight loss that happened in my opinion too quickly..
Thats why I took him
But he weighed somewhere bouts a good15 lbs..
And he lost down to 12.6lbs
And the vet after done the procedure said as long as he didn't continually loose weight..and eating and drinking good and good litter box habits..he would be fine at 12lbs
Cause he was initially overweight.
What are yas thoughts
TIA for any information

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be connected to what ever was causing him to retain stool in his colon, or it could be due to a recent food change - or, a number of other things. Your guy is now considered a senior, and that is generally when health issues can more easily crop us - just as they do with older humans. Your best bet would be take him back to the vet with a stool sample for testing. If the vet didn't do a full blood work up on him last time he was there, I would think he should have one done now, given the weight loss, the sluggishness, and now the blood in his stool. Did the vet recommend anything you could do to help ensure he doesn't retain stool in his colon like before?

Feeby (15+ yo) had blood in her stool awhile back, but it was determined it was a food change that I had to make due to her usual food being out of stock. Once I was able to get her usual food, the blood in her stool ceased. The vet deemed it to be a form of colitis brought on the change in food. She also had a weight loss of unknown origin early last year - about 1.5 pounds in 4 months. Thankfully, nothing showed up in her blood work or senior exam to identify the cause. She was, and still is overweight, so I am closely monitoring her food intake and weight to ensure she isn't continuing to lose weight at that pace - which gladly she is not. I am telling you all of this, because while it might be nothing, it is better to have all the tests run to make sure nothing else is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. It could be connected to what ever was causing him to retain stool in his colon, or it could be due to a recent food change - or, a number of other things. Your guy is now considered a senior, and that is generally when health issues can more easily crop us - just as they do with older humans. Your best bet would be take him back to the vet with a stool sample for testing. If the vet didn't do a full blood work up on him last time he was there, I would think he should have one done now, given the weight loss, the sluggishness, and now the blood in his stool. Did the vet recommend anything you could do to help ensure he doesn't retain stool in his colon like before?

Feeby (15+ yo) had blood in her stool awhile back, but it was determined it was a food change that I had to make due to her usual food being out of stock. Once I was able to get her usual food, the blood in her stool ceased. The vet deemed it to be a form of colitis brought on the change in food. She also had a weight loss of unknown origin early last year - about 1.5 pounds in 4 months. Thankfully, nothing showed up in her blood work or senior exam to identify the cause. She was, and still is overweight, so I am closely monitoring her food intake and weight to ensure she isn't continuing to lose weight at that pace - which gladly she is not. I am telling you all of this, because while it might be nothing, it is better to have all the tests run to make sure nothing else is going on.
She did a full senior blood work..

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

Initially when it all began..there was no blood in stool that I had ever seen...And he was eat AJ from chewy.com...
And after the procedure was done the vet recommended Purina Pro Plan..Wet ..So hes been eating chicken & Rice..Turkey & Rice..And A beef and Chicken..All. Wet..And I have to say now i think about it...Never saw blood til this morning
Since hes been on Purina. Pro Plan Wet..Just saying..

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purina is notoriously a bad brand, not at all suitable for felines.
Have you ever considered making homemade or switching to a premade raw?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it possible it is secretions from his anal glands and not blood? I had that happen once with Feeby, and at first I thought it was blood.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know it was a bad brand
.cause the vet recommended..it to me..IDK

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure...How can I tell
In my case, it was because there was no actual blood in her stool. So, it was discovered because I took her to the vet and they checked her stool and then looked at her anal glands, which the vet expressed (aka squeezed out the stuff in the glands). It is supposed to smell a lot worse than poop, but in Feeby's case, not so much. And, while common signs of anal glands becoming clogged are that cats tend to overgroom that area, or scoot their behinds on the floor. Feeby didn't do either of those. However, if there is a bigger issue with the anal glands, I have heard that it can cause there to be blood in the stool.

Given that you've been giving him this food for at least a month now with no issues, I doubt the food is necessarily the 'culprit'. But, you could try other wet food brands. I am guessing the vet wanted you to use wet foods to help with more moisture in his system and perhaps soften his stool a bit? If that is the case, Fancy Feast is a pretty good food - but, the pates are better than the other FF types in terms of better ingredients.

Last edited: