Blood from mouth or cat food?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Found this in my cat’s food bowl this evening.
5FA25953-53B5-4CBF-B233-13EE926B9F1E.jpeg

This is the back end of the bowl.

He’s been snubbing food lately. We switch them off between Science Diet and Taste of the Wild dry cat food. I always do a gradual mixing of the two food when we get a new bag, and so I thought maybe he was snubbing because he now has decided he doesn’t like Science Diet anymore, but maybe he is injured in his mouth.

Will be calling the vet tomorrow for an appointment but not sure if it’s his blood or possibly blood from his food that wasn’t properly blended? It was a Sheba pate salmon meal.

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Years ago one of my cats injured his mouth on dry cat food. It was one of Science Diet’s short lived “natural” versions. I realized afterwards that the kibble was as hard as rocks. Guess that’s not very helpful, but just thought I would mention it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like fresh blood to me. Will your cat let you look inside her mouth or is there blood on the fur around her mouth?.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Years ago one of my cats injured his mouth on dry cat food. It was one of Science Diet’s short lived “natural” versions. I realized afterwards that the kibble was as hard as rocks. Guess that’s not very helpful, but just thought I would mention it.
was thinking it could have been the kibble too

It looks like fresh blood to me. Will your cat let you look inside her mouth or is there blood on the fur around her mouth?.
I tried as best I could by giving him a comb to chew on. Couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary.
No blood on the fur or his chin or anything.

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This looks like fresh blood . Try and open the mouth to see if any abcesses or wounds inside his mouth . If you can t, you should check a vet . They can hurt when they chew . If this persist you can try to add some fresh water in the kibble to be more soft . The only advice can be given by the vet .
Fingers crossed to be a one time problem !

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you ever figure out what this was? I have a cat that leaves the same thing in the bowl (the one in my picture) about once a week only on chew food. I am going to blend it for a week and see what happens. Its hard to take him to the vet as he is wild with anyone else but me and as a result has to be anaesthetized to be checked over. I hate doing this.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you ever figure out what this was? I have a cat that leaves the same thing in the bowl (the one in my picture) about once a week only on chew food. I am going to blend it for a week and see what happens. Its hard to take him to the vet as he is wild with anyone else but me and as a result has to be anaesthetized to be checked over. I hate doing this.
That sucks. But no he never had this issue again. My guess was he bled from his mouth.
Have you tired a different food to see if it still occurs? Cause if it does it’s probably something with his mouth.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, tried different food and it does not happen with pate but with chewable food. I agree with you it is his mouth. I will try to do a recording of his mouth if I hold it open for a second. Hopefully, I will not get scratched or bit too bad. I hate thinking that he has a bad spot in his mouth that keeps opening on chewy food.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, tried different food and it does not happen with pate but with chewable food. I agree with you it is his mouth. I will try to do a recording of his mouth if I hold it open for a second. Hopefully, I will not get scratched or bit too bad. I hate thinking that he has a bad spot in his mouth that keeps opening on chewy food.
Good luck!