Blood and missing fur on cats chin?

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed this morning that my cat had a little scratch and missing fur on. Sorry for the blurry pics, he’s squirmy! There’s no bump or sore or anything so my first thought was that he scratched too hard, although that seems like a lot of missing fur. I cut his nails yesterday, so it’s possible I cut one badly and it was too sharp/raggedy.

4AB1FB3B-0CF6-4F2A-87A0-9C6AE679273C.jpeg
D356B4C0-62B1-4469-852E-1D621943190D.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed this morning that my cat had a little scratch and missing fur on. Sorry for the blurry pics, he’s squirmy! There’s no bump or sore or anything so my first thought was that he scratched too hard, although that seems like a lot of missing fur. I cut his nails yesterday, so it’s possible I cut one badly and it was too sharp/raggedy.

View attachment 322832View attachment 322833
Thread starter here — accidentally posted without finishing & cant figure out how to edit on my phone. Anyway, just wanted to know if I should try to clean it or put something on it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can try chamomile tea - just buy standard grocery store tea bags which are generally German - you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is safe should he ingest any of it.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
That is exactly how my Evie's chin presented itself when she had really bad feline acne. Her poor chin abscessed. That being said, I'm not a vet, so all I can do is tell anecdotal information. I would personally take your cat to see a vet to get a definitive diagnosis. If it is a bad acne flare-up, treatment is pretty straightforward. It took an antibiotic shot and prescription-grade antibiotic cream to get Evie 100% acne free again.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can manage it, I would go to the vet.

I would be concerned about the possibility of an infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is exactly how my Evie's chin presented itself when she had really bad feline acne. Her poor chin abscessed. That being said, I'm not a vet, so all I can do is tell anecdotal information. I would personally take your cat to see a vet to get a definitive diagnosis. If it is a bad acne flare-up, treatment is pretty straightforward. It took an antibiotic shot and prescription-grade antibiotic cream to get Evie 100% acne free again.
Yeah, I also thought it might be acne, which would explain why there’s so much missing fur. It would probably be itchy too. He has a vet appointment coming up anyway next month so I’m not going to take him now since he doesn’t seem bothered, but I’ll ask when we go next. Thanks!