Blocked Tom - Please Share a Message of Hope

Lynn M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, this is a bit distressing. They said he did great in surgery and is eating and urinating with good energy. However, his creatinine went from 2.7 when we brought him in, partially blocked, and now post surgery it's at 4.0. I'm just wondering if stress can cause increased creatinine levels. They say they won't let him go home until they get below the 2.7 he was at when we brought him in. I don't understand why this would happen and how worried I should be.
So very sorry to hear about Simba's ongoing fight with this. You certainly have your hands full lately, what with Simba's blockages topped with your dog's diarrhea! Surely they'll get him good and flushed out, and back to health. I hope you're hanging in there, especially as it sounds like the medical bills will be tough. Simba is so very lucky to have you for a guardian. I know for myself I'd be willing to chip in a bit to help you, if there is some means to send funds.
My 4yr old Pablo who had PU surgery in July had a rough time for about 2wks then rapidly put it all behind him, at least in his mind. I'm still working on the nutrition and hydration. This will be a lifelong balancing act, that I'm glad to be do.
At any rate, my thoughts are with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zuni Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So very sorry to hear about Simba's ongoing fight with this. You certainly have your hands full lately, what with Simba's blockages topped with your dog's diarrhea! Surely they'll get him good and flushed out, and back to health. I hope you're hanging in there, especially as it sounds like the medical bills will be tough. Simba is so very lucky to have you for a guardian. I know for myself I'd be willing to chip in a bit to help you, if there is some means to send funds.
My 4yr old Pablo who had PU surgery in July had a rough time for about 2wks then rapidly put it all behind him, at least in his mind. I'm still working on the nutrition and hydration. This will be a lifelong balancing act, that I'm glad to be do.
At any rate, my thoughts are with you.
That's so sweet of you to offer to help. I was talking to my dad today and he is willing to help us out. so hopefully we will be ok. Our latest ongoing saga is with his e-collar. We had him in his separate room and were checking on him and when I woke up, he had somehow found a way to pop it off! But the good news is his surgical site looks fine, so we probably caught it right away. I'm going to ask vet about if we can up his meds slightly. He doesn't seem in pain, but he seems way too amped up which makes monitoring him much harder.

Lynn M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's so sweet of you to offer to help. I was talking to my dad today and he is willing to help us out. so hopefully we will be ok. Our latest ongoing saga is with his e-collar. We had him in his separate room and were checking on him and when I woke up, he had somehow found a way to pop it off! But the good news is his surgical site looks fine, so we probably caught it right away. I'm going to ask vet about if we can up his meds slightly. He doesn't seem in pain, but he seems way too amped up which makes monitoring him much harder.
Is he in a dog crate? My vet had me keep Pablo in a cone, in a large dog crate with the ceiling lowered half way so that he wouldn't try climbing inside the crate. The crate was right beside my bed. Those 2 weeks were just plain rough. But Pablo is back to his old self, tearing around the place with his brother, no issues with the litter box, he's laying here beside me as I type. Hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zuni Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Simba is 10 days post surgery and doing great. Eating and peeing like a champ. Fortunately, I work from home and moved my desk into our bedroom, so he's got company most of the day. We've had no litter box issues at all. In fact, other than him wearing the cone, he seems like his old self. We're also realizing that he is urinating so much more (volume) than what he was during the four weeks after his blockage. We have appointment next week to take him for re-check and can hopefully remove cone and let him frolic with the other pets.