Blocked Salivary Gland

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we took Sam in to be neutered they found a blocked salivary gland and recommended a vet visit. Today we had an appointment and apparently it's so rare for this to happen to cats that not a lot of veterinarians do the surgery. I'm stressed and sad at the same time. The financial burden is going to be rough but I'm sad that he is having to deal with swelling under his tongue until we can figure out who can do the surgery. They are going to call around for us and then get back to us,most likely after the Thanksgiving holiday. They said the good news is that when it was drained it was just saliva. They gave us some antibiotics for 5 days for a URI and a dewormer. Otherwise everything looks good.

20221123_085848.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing…I am SO sorry you are going through this, I have never heard of such a thing! Was tongue swelling the only symptom? Good luck & please let us know how it goes! He looks like such a sweetie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleshflowers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing…I am SO sorry you are going through this, I have never heard of such a thing! Was tongue swelling the only symptom? Good luck & please let us know how it goes! He looks like such a sweetie.
Thank you so much. They noticed his tongue was swollen when he went in for his neuter and they drained 3ccs of the liquid out and it was saliva. The veterinaran said it's very rare for cats and is more common in dogs. I had no idea!