Blocked Cat Aftercare

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we’re home after 3 days in the hospital for a urinary blockage. He peed but he’s very very drippy - does anyone know if this is normal?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never had a cat that blocked, but I believe from reading other posts that it's probably normal. What you don't want to see is him trying to urinate with no success (as you already know, I'm sure)

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks I see that it is normal I hate this period as I’m terrified he’s going to block agian.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he on any medications? I would do whatever you can to keep him from blocking again. Water, water, water is your friend. Try to feed only wet food and add extra water to it. I have a male cat that has blocked 3x. After the 2nd time, he had pu surgery. Unfortunately 2 years later, he blocked again.

I now have him on bladder supplements and add lots of extra water to his wet food. I monitor his urine output daily. It is a life time of concern.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your cat's recovery, I have two male cats myself and worryabout urine output and blocking. Thankfully they have not, they do only eat canned food and I do add a little water as others have mentioned

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we’re home after 3 days in the hospital for a urinary blockage. He peed but he’s very very drippy - does anyone know if this is normal?
Hi the exact thing happened to my cat. But for us it was 4 days ago. They discharged him and sent him home with antibiotics and anti spasm medication but nothing for pain or inflammation because they didn’t think he needed it.

I have since found out that inflammation can occur very commonly after the unblocking procedure. The catheter could have inflamed his urethra or his bladder could still very well be inflamed, causing him to be very drippy, sometimes even blood in the drops of urine. It’s uncomfortable, possibly even painful so if your cat has not been prescribed any anti inflammatory pain meds, you should definitely ask about it. Tell your vet that he is still drippy and unable to pee normal streams. Show her a video.

She will touch his bladder to see if he is experiencing a second blockage. If she tells you that his bladder is not blocked, then most likely your cat is going through the exact same thing as my cat - where they are not technically blocked because pee is still being released from their body but in painful abnormal drips. i(use your fingers to press on his lower abdomen, a normal bladder feels like a balloon half filled with water, a bad blocked bladder feels like a hard mass).

Some VERY important points to note here is to cut dry food out right now immediately for now, wet food only, keep hydrating him for now (if he doesn’t drink any water you can sneak water into his wet food or syringe feed him water but not too much at first because if you syringe feed him water and it happens he is dripping urine not because he is inflamed but because he is blocked a second time, the bladder would be full with nowhere to pump the urine out).

Also I cannot stress this enough but please keep monitoring him these days. It’s so important to find out how much volume of pee he is releasing a day, even in drips. My cat was dripping for 2 days right after the surgery but sometimes he would drip a strawberry sized clump and sometimes really just one drop of urine with traces of blood. I have to warn you, it’s so painful to watch but stay with him.

On the 3rd day I couldn’t stand it anymore and went to a second vet where she gave me those pain+inflammation medication. Once I have that to my cat, he started peeing normally, in normal streams. You have no idea how happy I was seeing that! We are entering the 5th day ever since his surgery, so far he still pees well. He’s on 3 meds : antibiotics, anti spasm and pain/inflammatory and will last a week.