Blind Kitten???

Jer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, All...first time visiting this site so forgive a novice and if I posted this in the wrong place. Here's my story...I live on a farm. From time to time stray cats show up. They keep down the mice so I don't mind but they are usually untameable. Anyway, a few days ago I noticed an unpleasant smell coming from an outbuilding. Upon investigation I found a dead mother car and 3 dead kittens and 2 barely alive kittens. I think their eyes opened up about a week ago. I assume the mother had some sort of infection and died and sadly the 3 kittens had no food and died. Very sad. I decided to do what I could for the remaining two. I took them to the house and gave them evaporated milk with an eyedropper. They both responded quickly and got stronger, love playing and seemed like normal kittens. But then something strange started with the larger of the two kittens...on two occasions it seemed to go blind...hugging the floor, walking into things, dilated pupils, etc. And then after a few minutes it seems fine. The two times were two days apart. When it has its sight it plays, romps, eats, and drinks. I assume it is something neurological brought in by the food deprivation due to its mother's death. But I thought I would ask the cat folks on this site. Thanks in advance for any advice.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you take these kittens to a vet? Thank you so much for rescuing them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can but was hoping for some advice first to see if cat people had seen this type of thing before.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he really needs a vet since this is a specific problem and the kittens suffered before they were in your care.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't heard of this specific problem before. My boy is the ultimate klutz and has been since he was a baby. I've always suspected some sort of vision problem but vets have never found any evidence to support the theory.

Hugging the floor and diliated pupils is actually not uncommon on their own. Hyperactive kittens who are riled up will do that, or at least mine have. I know other cats who do seemingly random hopping, eyes crazy, and dashing behaviorbthst people attribute to seeing ghost as well. My boy has walked into things as well but it was more common when he was growing and underestimated his height while playing. Lots of bonked noggin incidents when he was younger, poor guy. He won't even go under my bed anymore from all the times he hit his head there, and he's too tall to really move comfortable. Link also had a few running into doors because he wasn't paying attention and the door was unexpectently closed. And a few jumping into walls when he was going crazy with a toy and jumped left when he should have gone right. Total klutz and he usually does a glance around "no one saw that" kind of thing after. Although when he was really little he'd just shake his head and keep going. My boy *sigh*.

Anywho, best would be consulting with a vet. Video tape the next few times it happens and see if your vet will be willing to take a look. You can also share the video here to see if we recognize it. But a vet really is your best option. Even though I know Link is just clumsy and has no physical causes he saw a vet who did an exam just to be sure. I do continue to watch him for signs of neurological problems but he's never shown anything other than either a mild vision problem or inability to judge distance well.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank for the advice and replies....I will make an appointment with my vet.