Blind cat toilet issues

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Please believe that I have searched threads but I have particular issues here.
Poppy is blind, 5 years old. She's adorable. We moved 5 months ago to a newbuild, I expected a couple of issues and got a few wet carpets. Easily treatable but annoying. She kept doing it so I took her to the vet and she had a UTI for which she had strong painkillers. All's been ok, I've been watching her like a hawk, making sure she goes to the litter tray (she knows where they are and 99.9% of the time goes to them). However, for the second time she has wet my bed. Last night I noticed, changed my covers (I need to buy a new duvet) and then tried to sleep. I heard her scrape the carpet and she had wet the floor.
My flat smells. I'm worried I'm going to hurt her. I really don't know what to do and I need advice. I've tried everything. I don't want to go down the PTS route as I absolutely adore her but I need to think about what is right for me and her and the other two cats.

Added to this, she pushes with her tail when she poops and then sits on the carpet and tracks her grubby bum. She's had more showers than I care to think about and gets wiped with wet wipes. The carpet is more treatable then with the wees.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Are you using an enzymatic cleaner?

Can you maybe contain her to one or two rooms, at least part of the time, so the cleanup is less?

It sounds to me as though she has another UTI and needs to see the vet.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I am using an enzymatic cleaner and also bicarb. Today I've confined her to the living room/kitchen as I'm working at home and can hear her, and when I go to my other work at 5.30 I'll shut her in there. Shut them all in, as their litter trays, food and water are there so they'll be ok. I hate that I have to do it. I hate the fact she may wee in there too but I have a puppy pad under the sofa blanket and lino is cleanable. Fingers crossed she avoids the carpet.

Can't get an appointment at the vet so I've got to go and sit and wait there tomorrow until someone is free.

Apparently she is getting the UTIs as her poobum is travelling down as they are close together, and poo is getting her infected.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was wondering, would trimming the fur around and under her tail, along her back legs etc be of any help, -- basically a hygiene trim?

Maybe the vet can do this, the first time while you're there, and you can then determine if it's something worthwhile that you'd want to continue doing.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will your vet allow you to walk in with the cat without an appt. and just have a vet tech draw her urine for testing? Many vets do, and when I have used this process Feeby and I were in the vets for maybe a total of 15 minutes or so. If they didn't do a urine culture in addition to the urinalysis last time, have them do a culture this time. It will tell what bacteria is causing the UTI - which will help to determine the most effective antibiotic.

Also, if it turns out to be e-coli (which would make sense given what you are saying about her poop situation), you can start to give her pure D-Mannose. It binds with e-coli, as well as a number of other bacteria, found in the bladder which are then flushed out with peeing and helps to reduce the chances of UTIs. Feeby was getting frequent UITs and once I started her on a daily dose of D-Mannose (powder added to her canned food), she has - knock on wood - been UTI-free.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering, would trimming the fur around and under her tail, along her back legs etc be of any help, -- basically a hygiene trim?

Maybe the vet can do this, the first time while you're there, and you can then determine if it's something worthwhile that you'd want to continue doing.
Hi she usually has a hygiene trim for this reason but she's also recently had a lion cut - she's a lazy groomer and her back hair was a bit greasy and attracting dirt. She looks so utterly cute! I take her to a groomer so she gets the best treatment :)

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will your vet allow you to walk in with the cat without an appt. and just have a vet tech draw her urine for testing? Many vets do, and when I have used this process Feeby and I were in the vets for maybe a total of 15 minutes or so. If they didn't do a urine culture in addition to the urinalysis last time, have them do a culture this time. It will tell what bacteria is causing the UTI - which will help to determine the most effective antibiotic.

Also, if it turns out to be e-coli (which would make sense given what you are saying about her poop situation), you can start to give her pure D-Mannose. It binds with e-coli, as well as a number of other bacteria, found in the bladder which are then flushed out with peeing and helps to reduce the chances of UTIs. Feeby was getting frequent UITs and once I started her on a daily dose of D-Mannose (powder added to her canned food), she has - knock on wood - been UTI-free.
Hi our vet has a "sit and wait" system when they have no appointments. We waited 40 minutes. She's too fat to draw urine so she's back on strong antibiotics and also Loxiform, which my Mindy had for a minor wee infection. Unfortunately the Loxiform gave her the runs so I've stopped that. The next step is a urine draw but she will need to be admitted as they can't feel her bladder. Then we will work out what is causing it. She's always had a stinky bum but before we moved, she didn't have any wee issues.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, she's not allowed in the bedroom unless I'm there so spends the day on the sofa. But this means she stays there most of the night too :(. The antibiotics are doing her good so the next step will be a urine extraction which will be difficult as she's a bit of a porker.

But just looking at that adorable face (my profile picture) just makes it all worth it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The next step is a urine draw but she will need to be admitted as they can't feel her bladder.
I don't know the set up your vet has, but not too long ago I took Feeby in for a urinalysis and they palpated her bladder and didn't feel she had enough urine to do a cystocentesis, so they quickly did a 'mini ultrasound' (at no charge) to view the bladder to confirm it was essentially empty before they gave up. They did that right after they took her back for the cystocentesis, so maybe within a 15-minute period. If your vet cannot feel her bladder maybe, they have the ability to do the mini ultrasound?