Blind Cat Bumping Into Things

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm asking this for an elderly relative. There's an existing thread about this issue from last year - Senior Cat Went Blind, but I didn't want to add to that since it's been a year.

Their older cat now around 18, went blind last year due to high blood pressure. Other than that she seems to be healthy. They (the relatives) are supposed to be giving her pills for her blood pressure but they can't because they're elderly and handicapped. They've tried sticking the pills in treats and that works sometimes, but not always. They can't find anyone else to give the cat a pill on a daily basis. They live in a rural-ish area so it's not like they can hire someone to come in and help. I live 15 minutes away, but I can't go over everyday, that's a bit much. I'd probably be there an hour and then there's the 30 min. total travel time - so that's 90 min. total per day.

The issue now is that the cat keeps bumping into things. They say it's heartbreaking to watch and they're considering having her PTS. They say she eats/drinks just fine and uses the litter box normally. They're kind of divided on what to do. They have a vet appt. set up to have her evaluated.

We're interested to know what are the thoughts of having a cat in this condition PTS? I've never had a cat that was visually impaired so I have no opinion. I wish I knew if she was bumping into things solely because she can't see or if there's cognitive type issues creeping up. I'm not sure if the average vet knows the difference.

I couldn't comment on the cat's quality of life. When I'm there's she's usually sleeping. I did see her walk down the hall just fine a few weeks ago. I don't think she's in pain. With this cat being 18, I don't know. I really don't have an opinion because my cats have not been through this.

I/we would really like thoughts or experiences on this matter. I did consider bringing the cat to live with me, but I think that would be too much. I have have many other cats and I don't know how they would treat her. Plus, adjusting to a new environment and people may be too much on her. Then there's the expenses. I'm already taking care of a feral colony and all the cats in my house were strays I took in. I just can't take on another cat. Maybe if she were younger, but... This sucks. I hate this. :sniffle:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is so heartbreaking. And there are a lot of ifs going on here.

The best-case scenario is that they are not in the habit of leaving things exactly where they were before. It doesn't take a lot to throw a blind cat off. If she has to detour around something that is out of place, she's lost all sense of where she is. The answer is to make sure EVERYTHING at ground level stays within inches of where it belongs at all times.

She may be having issues due to her blood pressure, and not being able to be medicated properly. IF that is the issue, find out if there is a medication that can be compounded into a transdermal dose. This is simply applied to the ears and absorbs through the skin. MOST towns have at least one compounding pharmacy. If not, there are many available on the internet (although a prescription is required). I know that Chewy offers this with some medications. Should you go the internet route, look for a pharmacy based in the United States, so you know it is properly regulated.

She may also be having cognitive issues due to her advanced age. Although this is serious, there are a few medications (again, ask for compoundable ones) that could help. This is the worst-case scenario, because no matter what you do, she isn't going to get any younger. The best advice I can give you is this: monitor her quality of life, and make the Hard Decision when it falls below an acceptable level. It is what I would do for my cat. It is what I'd want someone to be able to do for me, when it comes down to it. This may help that monitoring somewhat...it takes those emotions out of the equation, and allows an honest assessment:

The Feline Quality of Life Scale Helps You Determine If It's Time to Say Goodbye to Your Cat | Catster

Generally, if she is eating, sleeping and using her box normally, and enjoys being with her humans and being loved by them, her quality of life is good. SHE isn't unduly worried over bumping into things, and at her age, she isn't running like a mad thing and hitting hard. Cats are very zen...they live in the moment, and don't concern themselves with what used to be. She, in her own eyes, is perfectly herself, right now, and isn't fretting over a bump or two. It is far harder on her humans than on her.

I so hope this helps. It is hard to see them age and change, but if she isn't in pain, she's dealing with things as they come.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've tried sticking the pills in treats and that works sometimes, but not always.
Pill Pockets you mean? I heard Pill Pockets help some. If the medicine isn't too bitter tasting, another option is breaking it into pieces or powderize them and mix it with a pate texture wet food. If it works maybe you can prepare a Pill Box prepared and they only need to mix it with wet food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you have a perfect storm of the meds not being given regularly, possibly things moved around the house, and some cognitive issues. I have had two blind animals, a dog and cat, and it is key that nothing move in the house for the remainder of the life of the animal. Handicapped animals whom I have owned have all adapted to the handicap much better than people would to the same condition. I don't see this cat as needing to be PTS until the other issues are addressed and ruled out as having a hand in the problem. I do get that you cannot make a 90 minute trip every day.

I had the best luck with long term pill dosing on a cat who would not be pilled or take pill pockets to have been using BFF cat food in the pouches and crushing the pill in a pill crusher and adding it to food. It does not have to be BFF but I chose it because that particular cat, Fiona herself, liked very fishy flavored food and it completely disguised the pill.