Blastomycosis

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family has received devastating news today, my parents four year old dog has been disagnosed with blastomycosis. We are all utterly devastated and upset.

My cat Charlie lives with Ollie, the dog that has been infected. At the time, my mom was too upset to find out if it’s possible for Charlie to be infected. My research has said yes and no so I don’t know what to think. We are obviously going to call the vet in the morning to find out, but I’m hoping someone else has had experience with this.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi inkxpencil.

There are 8 references on the site - most just mention it, but there's one case in a cat from 12 years ago: Blasto Lung Fungal Disease

Use the Search for Blastomycosis to see the others.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
From what I read the incidence in cats as well as humans is much lower than in dogs. It is my understanding that it's more prevalent in areas with a warm, moist environment. In addition, most other pets in the household do not require being separated from the infected pet. Just out of curiosity, do you know where your parent's dog may have contacted the infection?
Blastomycosis in Dogs

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents live on a river, which from what I have read is a big breeding ground for it. So Ollie unfortunately likely got it from his own backyard. He starts on medication today, the next few days are going to be so rough for him. But hopefully it was caught earlier enough.

Charlie is strictly an indoor cat, so he should hopefully be okay. I still plan on talking to the vet just to be sure. If there is any possibility of Charlie contracting it he will be moving in with me permanently.

I had no idea about this until now, it’s so scary to believe that there is nothing anyone could have done to prevent this. All the more reason that my cats are both indoor cats.