Bladder issues

Hobbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I’m hoping to find help with issues I am having with my cat Moo, I am working with a vet but we’re having issues figuring out what’s going on and other peoples expertise and input would be amazing.

I’ve had Moo for 4 years and he is approximately 7 years old now. On Wednesday I rushed him to the vet because he was vomiting and straining to poo with nothing coming out. Turns out his urethra was blocked at the end of his penis. He has since been back to the vet on Friday because he hadn’t peed since the catheter and they had to recatheterize him.

Moo has always had issues with going to the bathroom, right now the vet has him on medication because he thinks potentially this is urethral spasm but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I wanted to list out symptoms in case someone has seen something similar.
1. He goes through times where he full on pees while he’s sleeping and doesn't even wake up.
2. He doesn’t ever seem to use the littler box regularly (I have more than one cat so it’s hard to keep good track of) I would say he goes once every day or two
3. When he goes to the litter box he pee’s ALOT
4. Every once and while when he poops his rectum prolapses a bit but it always reduces in a couple of hours.
5. The vet says he has the smallest rectal track he’s ever felt.
6. the vet said on Friday when he manually tried to express his bladder nothing came out but when he was sedated with a catheter about an inch in he was able to pee

Thank you to anyone who took the time and has any suggestions on what this could be I’m at a loss.
Katie

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your vet has the ability to contact a veterinary school and vets at other hospitals for a consult and get more eyes on a puzzling issue. Ask your vet to consult with others.

I assume blood work has been done and other health issues have been ruled out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hobbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your vet has the ability to contact a veterinary school and vets at other hospitals for a consult and get more eyes on a puzzling issue. Ask your vet to consult with others.

I assume blood work has been done and other health issues have been ruled out?
Thank you so much I will ask him I know he was consulting with his immediate colleagues. Blood work and urinalysis were done and ruled out as issues. I’m just getting super worried about him having to be catheterized so often and getting infections from it.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I’m hoping to find help with issues I am having with my cat Moo, I am working with a vet but we’re having issues figuring out what’s going on and other peoples expertise and input would be amazing.

I’ve had Moo for 4 years and he is approximately 7 years old now. On Wednesday I rushed him to the vet because he was vomiting and straining to poo with nothing coming out. Turns out his urethra was blocked at the end of his penis. He has since been back to the vet on Friday because he hadn’t peed since the catheter and they had to recatheterize him.

Moo has always had issues with going to the bathroom, right now the vet has him on medication because he thinks potentially this is urethral spasm but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I wanted to list out symptoms in case someone has seen something similar.
1. He goes through times where he full on pees while he’s sleeping and doesn't even wake up.
2. He doesn’t ever seem to use the littler box regularly (I have more than one cat so it’s hard to keep good track of) I would say he goes once every day or two
3. When he goes to the litter box he pee’s ALOT
4. Every once and while when he poops his rectum prolapses a bit but it always reduces in a couple of hours.
5. The vet says he has the smallest rectal track he’s ever felt.
6. the vet said on Friday when he manually tried to express his bladder nothing came out but when he was sedated with a catheter about an inch in he was able to pee

Thank you to anyone who took the time and has any suggestions on what this could be I’m at a loss.
Katie

So sorry your kitty is going through this. I can’t diagnose it obviously but I wonder if he has had testing such as us of the rectum, bladder/ kidneys etc., urine sample testing and bw to see what is going on here? I hope you get some answers soon and help for him. Here is a link with some ideas. I would give him his own box if he shares one.