Blackhaired-blue eyed cat

catlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just being a curious cat-lover/ owner for many years, but was wondering why no one has been able to produce a totally black cat with blue eyes. I think that combo would be gorgous. I have never seen one. Anyone else ever see one? Is it impossible?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That'a an excellent question. I've read that article ages ago, but I can't recall it very well.

You, know I don't remember ever seeing a blue eyed tabby or a blue eyed red cat. In fact the only blue eyed cats are either white or pointed.

I know that the pointed gene is connected with the albino gene that is also basically white.

My guess than would be that blue eyes are probably created by lack of pigments in the iris and they correlate with lack of pigments in the coat (either a white coat or a pointed pattern).

Maybe one of the breeders here can give you a better answer - I'm not sure mine is correct.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by Kathleen
Hi,

Here is a site that describes coat/eye color patterns:
http://www.best.com/~sirlou/catgenetics.html
It's pretty interesting! If I understand correctly, a blue-eyed black cat would seem almost genetically impossible. But I agree, it would be pretty.

Sincerely,
Thanks Kathleen for that great site. I found it very interesting to see all the different combos. Too bad none to be black & blue eyed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by Anne
That'a an excellent question. I've read that article ages ago, but I can't recall it very well.

You, know I don't remember ever seeing a blue eyed tabby or a blue eyed red cat. In fact the only blue eyed cats are either white or pointed.

I know that the pointed gene is connected with the albino gene that is also basically white.

My guess than would be that blue eyes are probably created by lack of pigments in the iris and they correlate with lack of pigments in the coat (either a white coat or a pointed pattern).

Maybe one of the breeders here can give you a better answer - I'm not sure mine is correct.
Thanks Anne for the info. Your knowledge seems logical to me. It's just too bad a mututation of black & blue eyed couldn't occur. Maybe someday!

fab4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have to kinda read between the lines in the link, but blue-eyed genes are linked to coat pattern, which means the only cats that can have blue eyes are white and pointed cats. Sorry, your dream will never be. But, there are lots of beautiful cats that are blue with copper eyes, or black with green eyes, or tabby with gold eyes, etc.

catzlvr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to see a blue-haired blue-eyed cat. Possible? Blue is the dilute of black...
I've seen blue mink tonkinese with aquamarine eyes, I wonder if self-blue coat with siamese-royal-blue eyes is possible? If not I still find the Chartreux's orange on blue quite striking because in art, blue and orange are a perfect contrast. By the way, anyone own a Chartreux? Info?

[Edited by catzlvr on 04-05-2001 at 02:56 PM]

rene

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Ohos Azules is a non pointed, non white cat with blue or odd (two different colors, one being blue) eyes. They are fairly rare and there are three or four lines with black, tuxedo, blue, red and brown mackerel tabbys with beautiful blue eyes. Remember, blue is a non-color genetically rather than a color (like the sky) so blue eyes means pigmentation did not reach the eyes. In order to produce a blue eyed non pointed or white cat, the cat must possess the Ohos gene. My friend, who is a breeder and cat geneticist has a pure black, a tuxedo and a couple of red tabbies with blue eyes - the contrast is incredible.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Wow - that is fascinating! Can you provide a link to her site or pics of the cats?

rene

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She doesn't have a website - in fact she is a genius who cannot retrieve messages from a cell phone - however, Cat Fancy a few months back did a spread on the Ohos - I will try to find out which month it was.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Black hair - blue eyes! WOW!

Our Simba is a siamese/himalayan cross and he has very dark sealpoint colouring and fantastic blue eyes. His face is very dark brown and his eyes show up like jewels in his beautiful face. That's as close as I can think of the above combination.

I have a jpg of him, but I don't know how to get it loaded on. If you know how, tell me and I'll put his picture up for all to see how handsome he is!

Linda