Blackening on a 9 months old cat's teeth

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greeting, I am in a part of the world where i don't trusts the vets too much and need to dig after the information i'm given, our cat is 9 months old, as far as i know she was done with her teething somewhere 2 - 4 months ago, i noticed this blackening on her teeth went to the vet and he said this is plaque and needed to be cleaned, but i don't understand how could plaque form so fast within a few months like this, and when i looked up plaque in cats it didn't look as dark and shadowy as on our cat, it was more yellow/brow while in her case it's black

have anyone seen anything like this? is this really plaque?

thankful for any insights

Attachments

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not a vet, by any means. But I’ve never seen plaque like this on any of my cats. And I’ve had plenty.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are going to have to gather your courage, ask around for the best vet available, and have your cat seen. This looks very much like decaying of the tooth, and that can lead to all sorts of problems. She is very young for it, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. Possibly even due to health issues/malnutrition in her mother while pregnant. Have it looked at.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay friends, thank you for your help but i'm now dumbfounded.. that blackness is gone now.. i just checked yesterday and it's gone.. can someone help me figure this out?

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Okay friends, thank you for your help but i'm now dumbfounded.. that blackness is gone now.. i just checked yesterday and it's gone.. can someone help me figure this out?
Wow, that's unbelievable. :eek: Is it possible she rubbed up against or chewed on something? Is she an indoor or outdoor cat?

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's unbelievable. :eek: Is it possible she rubbed up against or chewed on something? Is she an indoor or outdoor cat?
She is an indoor cat and very curious, and i don't know how chewing on anything would remove it, the blackness looked as if it is part of the tooth or even forming inside it, i just can't wrap my head around this

i do have to mention i did give her 1 spray from a dental spray, just once, i also stopped feeding her dry food, but i can't imagine it would suddenly clean her teeth like that

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
wow. I'd really like to know the name of that dental spray.??
Since your cat's teeth went to looking like possible feline tooth resorption...and rotting...to clean teeth.
amazing.

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow. I'd really like to know the name of that dental spray.??
Since your cat's teeth went to looking like possible feline tooth resorption...and rotting...to clean teeth.
amazing.
Sentry Petrodex Dental Spray, but i really think there are some other explanation

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Sentry Petrodex Dental Spray, but i really think there are some other explanation
Not sure what the explanation would be.

Just look up the 'active ingredients' in the dental spray....and make sure it isn't toxic to cats...if used too much.
(I always look up reviews and chemicals online....just to be sure.)
Even for 'enzymatic toothpaste' for cats...it's always good to research the ingredients online.
I even do this for things the Vet gives me, just to know what I am giving to my animals.

Also, make sure to keep an eye ...on her gum line...for more redness.
See how your cat already has redness at the gumline...If this gets worse...
it means that she may have possible feline tooth resorption..which is painful. And you cannot see it without an x-ray.

(my previous rainbow cat, spotty, had bad teeth at age 13 years...and it was my fault, for not keeping an eye on them, and for not brushing his teeth with enzymatic toothpaste. He needed to have six teeth extracted...and this probably led to him having kidney disease and heart disease. There seems to be a strong link with bad teeth...and kidney or heart issues in cats.)
Dental Disease in Cats

This website shows you some diagrams and photos of tooth resorption:
How it develops below the gumline...and rots the tooth from within.
By the time you see the effects on the outside...the tooth is already rotted.
Feline Tooth Resorption | Today's Veterinary Practice

And this one has some more good photos:
Gingivitis and Stomatitis in Cats
Lastly, this cornell university site...has a good video...of brushing your cat's teeth.
Feline Dental Disease

Not sure if it happens in kittens...but there are previous threads, here, in young cats...that already have tooth resorption.
As Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ...mentioned above...I would really suggest taking her in, and having the Vet check her mouth, out,...and do an x-ray...or whatever the Vet suggests. Young cats can have anything from infections, to gingivitis, stomatitis, and resorption.
Good Luck to you and your cat.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...I'm stumped. Just to be safe, I'd still have a vet look at it, and take that picture along to show them. I suppose it could have been a stain of some sort...

Let us know what you find out, though! I'll be scratching my head over this one for a bit!