Black Tongue

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone's cat's tongue ever turned black? Autumn's has. It's not black spots. It's like when we eat a grape lollipop only darker. She gets no people food. Her cat food is dry Merrick.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to get her to the vet. Black or blue tongue could mean a circulatory problem or difficulty breathing.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to @IndyJones  suggestions:

It could be that she's bitten it but more likely that she has a yeast infection, just like in humans.  Try giving her some live yogurt.  And take her to the vet.

Or, it could be toxoplasmosis parasite, in which case you definitely need to see the vet, but it's easily treated.  But most importantly is to get tested yourself if she has it, as it can cause seriously nasty symptoms in humans.  It's caught by accidentally handling cat poo.  

Try getting some water down her in the meantime if she's just on dry food, as tongues dry up and become darker when dehydrated.  

But whatever the cause take her to the vet.  I hope it all goes well 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In addition to @IndyJones
 suggestions:

It could be that she's bitten it but more likely that she has a yeast infection, just like in humans.  Try giving her some live yogurt.  And take her to the vet.

Or, it could be toxoplasmosis parasite, in which case you definitely need to see the vet, but it's easily treated.  But most importantly is to get tested yourself if she has it, as it can cause seriously nasty symptoms in humans.  It's caught by accidentally handling cat poo.  

Try getting some water down her in the meantime if she's just on dry food, as tongues dry up and become darker when dehydrated.  

But whatever the cause take her to the vet.  I hope it all goes well :catguy:

I have been giving her dental treats that are heavy on chlorophyll. I googled chlorophyll and animals black tongue. It turns out it can cause it. I'm going to stop giving them to her for now and see if it improves. She's not having any problem symptoms. Just her tongue.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One morning I woke up and Atticus's tongue had a blackish grey spot in the middle of it and I was convinced that he had some kind of horrible, freaky cat disease.  

After all, it looked pretty serious.

Imagine my chagrin when the vet began pulling small fibers off Atticus's tongue!  It turned out that Atticus had been having a fairly intimate relationship with my fuzzy  blue bedspread and the fuz had gotten caught on the papillae of his tongue.  He'd evidently been licking it.

The vet actually thought it was hysterical.  She, however, did not have to pay her own bill.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One morning I woke up and Atticus's tongue had a blackish grey spot in the middle of it and I was convinced that he had some kind of horrible, freaky cat disease.  

After all, it looked pretty serious.

Imagine my chagrin with the vet began pulling small fibers off Atticus's tongue!  
It turned out that Atticus had been having a fairly intimate relationship with my fuzzy

blue bedspread and the fuz had gotten caught on the papillae of his tongue.  He'd evidently been licking it.
The vet actually thought it was hysterical.  She, however, did not have to pay her own bill.  
Lol. I'll have to check to see if she has any fuzzies.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@angels4mom  Ah ha! Chlorophyll is what sugar in the leaves of plants is turned into with the aid of sunlight, it's what makes them green  
  No wonder she has a dark green "lollipop" tongue!  It's entirely harmless.  Yes, stop giving them to see if they're the culprit but I don't see why she shouldn't then continue to get them if they are, as they do help freshen breath.  A dark green tongue would be considered very fashionable by some 

PHEW!  What a wonderfully simply answer to a perplexing question.  It's good you have this site to turn to, as I'm guessing that it inspired you to look about for the culprit, not wanting it to be anything veterinary (£££!).

This story is the 1st I've read this morning, sitting with my cup of coffee, and it's definitely put a smile of my face 

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@LavishSqualor  thanks for your photo, you have inadvertently demonstrated how to open a cat's mouth by firmly placing your forefinger and thumb on either side and prizing it open.  I was trying to explain this to someone only yesterday, do you mind if I borrow your photo for any future mouth investigation questions, pictures are so much easier to understand than words?  

As for Atticus's taste for your bedspread, I hope the vet told you that you must stop his sucking/chewing/chomping on it as the fibres that he ingests (those that make it past his clearly very sticky tongue, teehee!) will build up in his tummy and cause a nasty obstruction, and even higher vet bills.  I expect you do know this already, but thought I'd mention it in case others who might read this thread have wool sucking cats  

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My Kabby used to lick my sheets but I gave him his own stuffed animal a webkinz golden lab and he just licks his stuffy now.

Kabby came from the SPCA so I don't exactly know his past but it's probably for the best.