Black Tongue Spots??

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't want to rely on Google or other sites, just ask for general advice. He has some black stuff on his tongue, probably fur since he's grooming, but it makes me wonder if whatever it is, is what's making his white fur turn brown when he licks it. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this before.

He doesn't eat his poop or raw meat (let alone anything that isn't his food or soft treats). He's currently on oral meds for ringworm. And yeah he grooms a lot and has loose fur on his hot spots so I wonder if that's just it.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps if you could post a picture? I know I once rushed Atticus, my gray tabby male, off to the vet because I thought he had a fungus growing on his tongue. It turned out he was licking the fuzzy blue quilt in the guest room and the fibers were collecting on the papillae of his tongue!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps if you could post a picture? I know I once rushed Atticus, my gray tabby male, off to the vet because I thought he had a fungus growing on his tongue. It turned out he was licking the fuzzy blue quilt in the guest room and the fibers were collecting on the papillae of his tongue!
If I can get a photo, I'll post it! I'm surprised Sonny even lets me pry open his mouth, but a photo may be more challenging... He's taking anti-fungal meds if all kinds, so a part of me doubts it would actually be that? I'm not expert, but I'd be more keen to assume his own fur and everything else he sticks his tongue on.

Boris666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there someone who knows what these black spots are?It is so hard to find any useful information on the internet about this. The vets are not sure what these spots are...

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat tongues are covered with papillae, the barb-like things you feel on your skin when your cat licks you. Some cats have dark colored papillae which is normal.

Here's a close up of the papillae:

I found a TCS thread where someone discovered that the black spot on the cat's tongue was a bit of fuzz from licking a bedspread: Black Tongue The vet was able to remove the dark fuzz.

Boris666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It cannot be removed at all. I tried with tootbrush, the vet used other tools, but absolutely nothing happened, not even a tiny black thing could be removed. It is present atleast a week, i do not think it was there before/or born with it. No fungus/yeast was found so far. She is only 2 years old, I really want to beleive it is not a serious disease... :(

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I doubt it’s anything serious. Her mouth looks healthy. I had a Maine coon mix who developed freckles around his mouth and inside on his tongue and roof of mouth. They usually just form the older they get and will probably continue to form over her life. If she’s eating well keeping weight and her mouth continues to look pinks and healthy I wouldn’t be worried. Just keep a watch and make sure it doesn’t get irritated or red and that she continues to eat.

Boris666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a maine coon too, my other two cats do not have anything that looks like these spots. They are all blue/smokey-white, so it was weird that only her tounge looks abnormal so suddenly. I will check it daily, she does not have any other issues yet. Thank you for the replies.

Boris666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I brought my cat to a vet clinic, and there were many vets and assistants on that day so they looked at her tongue and said that it is pigmentation, they saw many cats with such tongue.

Furkan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Did the pigmentation on your cat’s tounge move or change or was the same all the time? My cat have the same spots and color on his tounge but it changes all the time. Sometimes they even disappear.

Laana bengal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its lint. Really hard to get out, but was successful with a dental tool.
It's been bothering me for months. Finally, I addressed it myself. She has a fully pink tongue.