Black stuff around pregnant cat nipple

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat is pregnant and is very close to giving birth but I discovered some worrying problem this morning. I saw some black stuff around her nipples which I tried to wipe off with a wet towel but failed. Does anyone know what it is?
20220804_160526.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it’s a normal change in pigmentation caused by her estrogen. It is normal in pregnant cats and may fade once she is done nursing and is spayed. It is nothing to worry about.

Is this the same cat who had kittens earlier this spring?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes same cat
Also the anus has black stuff around it as well
20220805_191615.jpg

Last edited:

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my pregnant cat is close to giving birth but she refuses to nest in a space I provided her. I made a tent for her in which she can give birth with lots of blanket underneath with training pads on top. She used it well and spent lot of time resting and sleeping in it initially (around week 7) but then close to birth which is now (week9) she hides underneath sofa and spend days in there. I don't want her to give birth under the sofa. Anyway I can change her?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you block off access to underneath the sofa? However, at the same time can you give her a closet? She apparently doesn't think the tent area is quiet/safe enough.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Can you block off access to underneath the sofa? However, at the same time can you give her a closet? She apparently doesn't think the tent area is quiet/safe enough.
She gave birth under the sofa this evening
I moved the babies to the nesting tent and then she nurses them in there without moving them. And I've blocked the sofa now
However I have some problem with the newborn
There are 4 kittens and their weights are like 55g, 58g, 80g, 90g significantly underweight compared to my last litter (they were 90-110g range) and they also were slower to latch on (had to help one of them (55g one) to latch on myself) Do you think all will survive?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep helping them to latch on and keep weighing them. If they continue to gain there's hope :vibes::crossfingers: can you feed mama kitten food for the extra nutrition, which will benefit the babies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please let this be her last litter. This is back to back litters and is very unhealthy for mom to live this way and very hard on her body to constantly be pregnant and nursing.

Do you have a low cost spay clinic in your area? If you give your city and state I will find the closest one for you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These kittens are premature and it may be the result of your cat having back to back pregnancies and litters. Her body has not had time to recover well enough to support a full term pregnancy and bigger kittens.

You may need to syringe feed the tiniest kittens if they are not latching. Here is a helpful video:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Please get mom on the books to be spayed 8 weeks from now so that she has no more kittens after this litter.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These kittens are premature and it may be the result of your cat having back to back pregnancies and litters. Her body has not had time to recover well enough to support a full term pregnancy and bigger kittens.

You may need to syringe feed the tiniest kittens if they are not latching. Here is a helpful video:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Please get mom on the books to be spayed 8 weeks from now so that she has no more kittens after this litter.
Will do. The kittens are nursing well and have gained weight - all of them around 130g-150g

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness they are nursing well and gaining! I was very concerned. It sounds like all four are doing well and their weights are coming up to normal range for the first week. I hope they continue to do well.

Thank you for the update and keep us posted. And do not let mom out or around intact males to conceive again in the meantime. So relieved to hear all is well!

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, one of the kitten opened one of its eyes but looks cloudy to me. Is this normal? From my memory, the last litter didn't have cloudy eye even when it first opened its eye
I'm worried this is glaucoma

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it contagious? Would other kittens or mom get the disease from infected kitten with cloudy eyes? I'm still not sure if its their baby blue eyes or cloudy eyes
I have attached photo for reference

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The eyes look okay to me. Do you see any green or yellow pus or crusty stuff? If not, things should be okay. Kittens are born with blue eyes that change color to green around 10-12 weeks. It’s not uncommon for newborns to have eye infections. They usually clear quickly. It’s not a disease.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The eyes look okay to me. Do you see any green or yellow pus or crusty stuff? If not, things should be okay. Kittens are born with blue eyes that change color to green around 10-12 weeks. It’s not uncommon for newborns to have eye infections. They usually clear quickly. It’s not a disease.
No there isn't any pus or discharge but all of their eyes are very teary and mulky to the point that I cannot really see their pupils clearly
So if this is an infection, would it go away on its own and would mother be safe from contracting it while nursing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to wipe across their eyes with a soft, warm damp cloth as often as necessary. I suggest you order a tube of Terramycin antibiotic ointment online from Chewy. If there is infection, this will clear it. It does not require a prescription in any state except California.

You can also brew plain black tea and let it cool, and wipe their eyes with the cloth dipped in the cooled off tea. This is a home remedy that has worked for others.

I can see the pupils in the pictures you posted, so their eyes should be okay. Also, kittens need to be in a dim light when their eyes first open for a few days while they adjust. They do not see well right away.

If you have further concerns you should see a vet.

S skrumtuoscatlayd

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today mom cat moved the babies to a closet. She saw me wiping the kittens with blacktea clothes and seemed worried when the kittens squeaked a little. Do you think she tried to hide the kittens from me?
Also the blacktea method did work like magic. One of kittens eyes became shut closed with discharges and when I wiped it with blacktea cloth it opened again after minutes. But the eyes that reopened, it seemed really reddish and puffy like pink eye
Should I separate this kitten from the rest?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, do not separate the kitten. Wipe all their eyes 2-3 times daily with the tea cloth. Do not allow any of their eyes to get stuck closed.

Please get a tube of terramycin eye ointment and use it. It will clear everything up quickly!

Here is a link to order Terramycin:
TERRAMYCIN Ophthalmic Ointment for Dogs, Cats & Horses, 3.5-g, 1 count - Chewy.com

Leave mom and kittens in the closet. She feels safe there for now.

Have you booked her spay appointment yet for 8 weeks out?

S skrumtuoscatlayd

Last edited: